WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Purchasing Manager - Solvay, NY
53 Industrial Dr.
Syracuse, New York, 13204
Purchasing Manager - Solvay, NY
The Purchasing Manager will be responsible for managing mill purchasing priorities, developing the purchasing and stores organization to deliver both short and long-term value and for managing change. This position will participate in strategic sourcing activities and negotiations with vendors- capital and routine.
How you will impact Westrock:
- Ensure compliance to all safety, purchasing, stores, and environmental policies and procedures.
- Manage and oversee the purchasing of maintenance materials, inventory parts, supplies, equipment, chemicals, services and capital for the facility.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a commodity inventory strategy that supports the company’s supply chain point of view and Mill operational reliability.
- Select vendors through appropriate procurement practices, total cost of ownership and compliance guidelines.
- Negotiate local contracts.
- Manage system capabilities as they pertain to the purchasing and inventory functions.
- Recommend and implement improvements to maximize operating productivity, quality and efficiency while minimizing total cost of ownership.
- Represent procurement and the facility operations on regional and national sourcing initiatives.
- Develop department goals that align with Corporate and Mill strategic plans and work to lead improvements across the supply function and within a facility.
- Work with internal customers to identify and address unmet needs that align with procurement and business unit goals to deliver long term value.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams at the facility and corporate to implement corporate initiatives.
- Participate, as part of the Mill leadership team, in safety and strategic planning events as well as attendance at the weekly leadership team meetings.
- Perform other related duties as required to ensure the accomplishment of the goals and objectives of the Mill
What you need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (Supply Chain, Business, or Accounting preferred)
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in supply chain (purchasing, inventory, engineering or maintenance)
- Direct purchasing experience
- Experience with inventory and storeroom management
- Experience supervising and managing employees
- Proven negotiation skills or formal negotiation training
- Solid understanding of contractual terms & conditions and able to craft structured agreements with legal and stakeholder input
- Experience with Microsoft Office to include Excel (creation of spreadsheets), PowerPoint (ability to do presentations), and Word (document creation)
- JD Edwards Purchasing software experience a plus.
- Willing and able to travel
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully deal with all persons in a fair and equitable manner
- Excellent written, verbal, and multi-tasking skills
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.