Buyer- Atlanta, GA
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe and Asia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Job Title: Buyer
Responsible to proactively build relationships and coordinate with WestRock stakeholders to help drive execution of strategic procurement projects at assigned plants. Purchase across all categories except stock and transportation and assist with purchasing at the lowest total cost of ownership for the quantity, quality, and delivery required by stakeholders. Communicate promptly any material problems and lead in finding solutions with suppliers. Manage accounting discrepancies and generate/analyze reports on open orders to ensure POs are properly managed to reduce invoice exceptions and are closed when materials/services have been received.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
A. Develop relationships with suppliers that plants use. Know the key personnel at each major supplier and understand their production processes and internal systems to improve work flow. Reinforce WestRock’s primary position with these suppliers so that the company enjoys a preferred position if supply or quality problems arise.
B. Expedite materials when required and handle rejections/problems on materials purchased. Minimize operational disruption by improving delivery on-time and payment on-time.
C. Assist executing national agreements with suppliers at plants and find opportunities to conduct regional sourcing analysis and supplier selection to drive savings and reduce risk.
D. Partner with stakeholders to drive Converting integration across WestRock Divisions.
E. Check purchase requisitions and issue purchase orders to preferred suppliers in accordance with company policy and negotiated terms and conditions.
F. Conduct internal assessments to substantiate and validate current purchasing processes.
G. Assist maintenance with inventory consolidation and vendor management programs.
H. Communicate problems to affected areas and the Manager. Meet with sales, service, production, and maintenance representatives at plants to gather and evaluate feedback on services, products, cost reductions, quality improvements and new products.
I. Provide accurate production materials standard costs to Accounting and Finance. Benchmark supplier pricing to find variances and negotiate with suppliers to drive savings.
J. Maintain purchasing databases to ensure departments have prompt, accurate information. Generate reports and use BI Tools for analysis and purchasing decisions.
K. Process purchase requisitions into purchase orders and schedule agreements for materials and capital equipment. Work with plants to ensure that the right products and services are delivered on time, at the right price, and within specification.
L. Provide continuous improvement ideas to enhance PTP operations and workflows.
M. Check MRP work orders and requisitions, contact vendors, examine pricing, initiate purchase orders, and follow up of receipt of goods.
N. Understand and support Production and Maintenance strategies around materials planning and inventory management. Analyze buying patterns, make recommendations to improve spending methods.
O. Help prepare plant for seasonal changes in production with increased/decreased purchases.
P. Provide onsite system training and support with P2P process.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s Degree in related field (Business related or Supply Chain) or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
· Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM), desired, but not required.
· 3-5+ years of related experience (sourcing, commodities, purchasing operations)
· 1‐3 years’ experience in manufacturing environment material purchasing and planning desired.
· Ability to listen, be respectful, build trust, and understand stakeholder needs to maintain effective working relationships with peers, internal partners, clients and suppliers.
· Demonstrated ability to build consultative relationships and show individual initiative.
· Ability to comprehend, analyze, and apply Procurement principles, policies, concepts and standards and procedures, including price analysis, negotiations, ethics and Procurement law.
· Strong communication and conflict management skills. Understand goals and work activities with ability to work independently, and as part of a team; ability to problem solve and determine methods and procedures on efficient and effective path forward.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a high-volume environment.
· Ability to independently plan, schedule, carry out work assignments, initiate, and participate in the continuous improvement of shared plant and procurement practices.
· Understand materials planning and reporting, demand forecasting, product and materials.
· Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate.
· Organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to process large amounts of information quickly and accurately, with ability to summarize results.
· Experience in material planning and demand forecasting.
· Proficient in MS Office applications, specifically Excel.
· Hands-on experience working with e-Procurement technology, inventory and capital equipment tracking systems and product specifications databases.
- Strong computer/data entry experience and familiarization with Microsoft office programs.
- Experience in phone and direct supplier contacts; conflict resolution; time and customer service contact process management.
Mental and Physical Requirements
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Position requires regular keyboarding, standing and sitting. Work is performed in a normal office environment with occasional exposure to WRK plants and or mills.
· May require up to 25% - 35% domestic travel with minimal international travel to container and mill facilities, and to supplier locations.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans