Environmental Engineer - West Point, VA
4510-West Point VA
19th & Main St
West Point, Virginia, 23181
Environmental Engineer - West Point, VA
1901 Main Street, West Point, VA 23181 United States
Reporting to the Mill Environmental Manager, the Environmental Engineer is responsible for assisting WestRock personnel understand and adhere to environmental requirements by preventing pollution from a large, fully-integrated Kraft pulp mill.
How you will impact WestRock:
· Manage the mill recycling program to minimize waste sent to landfill.
· Manage the mill Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) program to prevent air pollution.
· Develop monthly, semi-annual and annual Title V air permit reports for review by the Sr. Environmental Engineer.
· Maintain current Visual Emissions Evaluations (VEE) certification by attending semi-annual smoke school training (cost is reimbursed by the Company). Perform monthly VEEs on all required equipment.
· Assist in the management of the mill industrial landfill and contractors who haul waste.
· Review Continuous Emissions Monitor Systems (CEMS) data daily and assist addressing issues and maintaining CEMS reports.
· Troubleshoot the mill Data Acquisition and Handling System (DAHS) to find the cause and how to correct errors.
· Assist in the management of the mill wastewater discharge permit, including Cluster Rule/BMP Requirements:
· Develop monthly wastewater reports.
· Assist in the management of the mill oil Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) and Storm Water Pollution Prevention (SWPP) Plans:
· Assist in managing the New Chemical Review Program. Evaluate the Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and other pertinent information on all new chemicals brought on site and fill in the New Chemical Management forms accordingly.
· Assemble the information necessary for annual SARA 313 Form R Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) Reports.
· Complete annual reviews of reportable quantity continuous releases.
· Help manage the Environmental Training Program. Ensure Mill procedures are up to date and posted on the Mill Web Site. Assign training to new employees. Help develop training materials and teach classes.
· Perform and document various mill environmental compliance inspections.
· Help develop and implement emergency procedures and drills for the facility.
· Assist with special projects that may include performing analytical testing in the mill Technical Laboratory.
· Assistance in other areas. Assist or manage projects that may include air emissions testing, trials using new equipment or materials, developing new procedures or training materials for any of the environmental compliance areas to improve pollution prevention or operate more efficiently.
· Approximately every five to six weeks, in rotation with other Environmental Department team members, participate in weekend call duty. When on call duty, attend morning meetings at the Mill on weekends and holidays, check reports and operator logs for any issues, provide status reports to Mill personnel via email, and remain on call to respond to emergencies.
What you need to succeed:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical or Environmental Engineering, or Environmental Science.
· This is an entry-level position, but preference will be given to applicants with experience in environmental compliance at a manufacturing facility as an intern or co-op student.
· Proficient computer skills (including MS Office, most importantly Excel and Microsoft Word)
· Willing and able to walk and work in an industrial location indoors or outdoors, including walking up and down steps and ladders with all safety equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, steel-toed shoes, etc.)
· Eligible to work in the United States
· Drive and excellent work ethic
· Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
· Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent planning, organizational, time management and prioritization skills
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence.
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities.
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential.
· A career with a global packaging company where sustainability, safety and inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
If this sounds great to you and you think you fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.