WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Assistant Safety Manager - Fernandina Beach, FL
600 North 8th Street
Fernandina Beach, Florida, 32034
Assistant Safety Manager - Fernandina Beach Mill
This role is #2 person responsible for the leadership & technical support of all matters pertaining to facility safety and employee health. The successful candidate will be a key leader at the location, helping to create a culture of safety excellence. The position has the responsibility to work in concert with Operations and Maintenance leaders to design, modify, recommend and implement safety and health programs to assure a safe work environment. They will support the mill as it accomplishes important tasks by offering practical and compliant solutions for working safely. Additionally, supporting compliance with all applicable safety and health regulations, corporate requirements and audit processes, will be critical. They will also participate in post injury case management and lead the audit preparation and response processes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Equip managers/supervisors to be able to provide safety training and important safety information to employees.
- Help mill leaders in developing measures and practices that prevent accidents and ensure compliance with OSHA standards.
- Be a key leader who will identify and help implement priorities for the facility that will most positively impact safety performance.
- Supports positive culture change towards injury-free facility through leadership, increasing employee engagement, effective training and coaching, on-the floor interactions and commitment to adhering to facility rules.
- Provide effective leadership and guidance in a variety of areas including, but not limited to: machine guarding, lock out/tag out systems, fork lift training, fire systems, hot work procedures, contractor training, mill safety communication, Hazwoper and Hazcom training, confined space program, process safety management, fall protection, and other safety related topics.
- Leads and manages 1-2 hourly direct reports. Sets priorities and ensures safety department objectives align and support mill safety strategy.
- Provides training and information to mill leaders on methods to develop and sustain effective safety. Must be skilled and engaging at delivering effective safety training.
- Interface with Corporate Safety team as needed, providing necessary reports, audit follow-ups, etc. in a clear, accurate and timely manner.
- Must possess strong leadership skills, being able to positively influence other leaders, employees and safety teams to help all mill stakeholders create a “safety first” culture.
- Reviews and modifies as required, all written procedures to assure the safety of all personnel, plus assuring compliance with all applicable corporate, local, state and federal regulations.
- Is familiar with local, state and federal regulatory agencies and their respective functions and can work with them as needed.
- Organizes and schedules mill committee activities.
- Ensures follow-up on accident and near-miss reports, as assigned, including recommended remedial action as part of the investigating team.
- Serves as the secondary contact for OSHA inspections: own inspection activities, makes corporate notifications and accompanies OSHA inspectors on their tours of the plant.
- Prepares and publishes safety related information (reports, updates, alerts, etc.) to increase and maintain safety awareness.
- Prepares statistical data pertaining to injury experience for careful analysis by company leaders to help identify and correct true sources of key mill safety issues.
- Routinely audits the mill for safe working conditions and procedures; initiates corrective actions where appropriate.
- Manages purchases for Health & Safety expenditures including emergency equipment, safety shoes, safety glasses, personal protective equipment required for manufacturing operations, training expenses, and first aid supplies.
- Assists with the design and administration of disaster recovery plans and procedures. Serves as liaison for local, state and federal government agencies.
- Support the implementation of the facility’s annual safety improvement plan and the WestRock Safety Excellence System (SES).
- Develop effective safety communication utilizing various multi-media methods.
- Coordinate with HR in workers compensation case management.
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety (or closely related field) is required.
- A certified or associate safety professional status is desirable.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience as a safety professional administering health and safety strategies and programs in a manufacturing operation is strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of OSHA regulatory programs is required.
- Process Safety Management experience is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to assign priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment. Must be able to make effective presentations to a wide range of audiences ranging from hourly employees to senior corporate executives and government agencies.
- Strong PC skills are also required.
- Candidate must exercise independent and group problem solving skills to establish ways to eliminate hazards in the operations.
- Must be able to accurately interpret information gathered in accident and incident investigations to make sound recommendations for the prevention of future occurrences.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.