WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Director of Public Policy - Sustainability
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
The Director/Senior Manager, Public Policy, is a key member of the sustainability team and will help drive the overall sustainability strategy. The position will proactively liaise with WestRock business, government affairs and innovation leaders to develop and institute policy and project approaches that will facilitate the recyclability of our products through increased access and acceptance. This position will serve as the subject matter expert and central point of contact for the regulations/policies related to recyclability and recycling of products and extended producer responsibility.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Identify and lead projects related to the recycling of foodservice and corrugated packaging, working with relevant industry associations and our internal facilities.
- Monitor and track development of regulations/policies related to packaging with a global focus on the recycling of food and beverage, and e-commerce packaging.
- Represent WestRock on relevant industry associations such as the Sustainable Packaging Coalition, Foodservice Packaging Institute, 4Evergreen.
- Act as the subject matter expert on public policy related to recycling and composting, extended producer responsibility, the carbon neutrality of biomass.
- Maintain appropriate linkage between government relations and sustainability
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the wider sustainability strategy and participate in other sustainability projects as assigned.
Critical Skills / Capabilities:
- Analytical, capable of translating complex regulations and policy into easily understandable communications for leadership
- Excellent communicator and relationship builder; able to develop, manage and maintain key relationships both internally and externally.
- Able to quickly grasp relevance of current issues and challenge current thinking and processes.
- Able to understand the impacts operational limitations and navigate to acceptable business solutions.
- Ability to develop strong external relationships with key stakeholder organizations and relevant industry associations.
- Effective public speaker.
- Experience working within a global, multi-cultural, business
- PC skills; Preferred i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
xperience in packaging industry or other manufacturing/converting preferred.
- Experience with or exposure to packaging, recycling or FMCG businesses; direct e
- Policy experience: developing policy related to natural resources, manufacturing and/or sustainability issues.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred: Masters or MBA