Responsible for managing the Paper Mill Department that includes two Paper Machines, Stock Prep and OCC Plant. Responsible for all activities in the department including safety, environmental, quality & customer satisfaction, cost, production, maintenance planning, financial budgets & results, capital project support, people development, and employee & labor relations.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Safety – Lead safety systems and processes that support achieving our continually improving annual goals.
- Assure a safe, engaged and highly motivated workforce by providing role modeling and leadership in safety and environmental efforts; communicating safety consistently, accountability while providing fair and equal treatment.
- Environmental – Lead department environmental management systems to ensure compliance and environmental stewardship while working closing with the Tacoma Mill Environmental Department
- Quality/Customer Satisfaction – focus on the “no fail basics” of quality and service coupled with innovation to provide winning solutions to our customers
- Cost – Develop and maintain methods for tracking and reducing chemical and operational costs.
- Production – Optimize paper machine schedules to maximize the mill’s production while continually increasing Paper Machine uptime % and productivity while reducing off quality.
- Financial Budget/Results – Work closely with Mill Controller and Leadership team to develop budgets and analyze financial results to look for opportunities for improving mill profitability
- Capital Execution – Provide input to capital projects from inception through completion.
- Strategic Planning - Initiate and facilitate improvement projects within the department focusing on strategic initiatives to reduce cost, increase productivity and/or improve quality
- People Development - Invest in our People to help them develop and operate at their full potential
- Employee/Labor Relations – Build positive relations based on the WestRock culture of trust, respect and empowering employees to always do the right thing.
- Create an environment of mutual respect and trust for our co-workers and customers
- Empower and engage co-workers to improve our safety and productivity and lower our cost to produce
- Satisfy our customers every time
- Do the right thing for WestRock – always
- High sense of urgency
- Attention to detail; develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures and processes to reduce human errors
What you need to succeed:
B.S. Degree with 10 plus years of Paper Mill experience or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least 5 years at the Paper Machine Superintendent or above level
Must be a strong leader with demonstrated skills in interpersonal skills, customer service, communication and high sense of urgency and attention to detail
Must work well in Teams, both as a Team Leader and Team Member
Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office products
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Preferred White Top paper making and OCC Plant experience
Understanding of Box Plant Corrugator operation
Customer visits and/or interaction experience
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.