WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
The Sawmill Supervisor provides leadership, training, and development to hourly team members while safely managing operations, resources, and workforce to meet and exceed established performance goals.
How you will impact WestRock:
* Oversee the day-to-day operations of the sawmill
* Coordinate with leadership across the mill to understand daily mill operations, provide direction and support to team member to ensure everyone is informed and set to achieve daily goals
* Partner with maintenance in troubleshooting process and equipment issues; and ensure necessary work is performed in a safe effective manner.
* Establish and maintain quality and production standards for the sawmill
* Optimize functional area including production, scheduling, and asset utilization
* Identify opportunities to improve and look for opportunities to reduce cost, while safely meeting production targets
* Coach, train and support team members to maximize performance
* Foster a culture of open communication with employees in all departments and at all levels
* Engage all employees to provide valuable input into work processes and systems
* Maintain the highest standards with respect to safety at all times, leading by example and ensuring the team follows all policies, procedures, practices and OSHA regulations
* Identify and assist in the troubleshooting of process and equipment issues
* Works with quality control to ensure quality standards are being met
* Lead daily check-in/safety meetings with all employees within the department
* Monitors employee work performance and provide timely feedback to ensure all employees are meeting performance standards
* Leads the team by proactively resolving employee issues and ensuring adherence to all applicable site policies and procedures in a fair and consistent manner
What you need to succeed:
* High School diploma or GED
* Bachelor's Degree, a plus
* External: 3+ years' supervisory experience in a manufacturing facility. Experience in lumber or wood products industry, preferred
* Internal: 3+ years' service, satisfactory safety record, performance and attendance over past year. Prior experience in a leadership role or capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Proven ability to successfully build positive relationships, lead and work effectively in a team environment
* Good work ethic and ability to work well under pressure
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to motivate others and build successful teams
* Customer focused with good problem solving and decision-making skills
* Understanding of accounting and financial metrics for a sawmill operation
* Demonstrated results in achieving business goals
* Working knowledge of web-based computer applications and Microsoft Office
* Willing to work rotating shifts, including some weekends
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled