WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Power and Recovery Supt - Stevenson, AL
1611 County Road 85
Stevenson, Alabama, 35772
This position reports directly to the Pulp, Power & Wood Yard Manager and will provide day to day leadership for all power department employees to improve safety, environmental compliance, quality, cost control and production for the Power/Recovery department. This position is responsible for implementing and updating management systems to ensure continued improvement in power generation, water and waste handling, electrical generation and Kraft cycle operations.
The Stevenson Mill is a complex, fully integrated pulp and paper manufacturing facility with two machines that manufactures corrugated medium and is one of North America’s largest semi-chemical pulp and paper mill. Stevenson, Alabama is centrally located between Chattanooga, Tennessee and Huntsville, Alabama. This is a unionized facility with approximately 400 employees
How you will impact WestRock:
- Safety – Lead safety systems and processes that support achieving our continually improving annual goals
- Environmental – Lead department environmental management systems to ensure compliance and environmental stewardship
- Quality/Customer Satisfaction – focus on the “no fail basics” of quality and service coupled with innovation to be our customers preferred supplier
- Cost – Develop and maintain methods for tracking and reducing operational costs.
- Production –Improve efficiency and effectiveness of department operations by analyzing the processes and utilizing all available tools, technology, and outside resources.
- Financial Budget/Results – Develop stretch operating budgets and deliver financial results
- Capital Execution – Provide input to capital projects from inception through completion.
- Strategic Planning
- People Development - Invest in our People to help them develop and operate at their full potential
- Employee/Labor Relations – Build positive relations based on the WestRock culture of trust, respect, and empowering employees to always do the right thing.
What you need to succeed:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Five plus years’ progressive and practical power & recovery operation experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pulp and Paper Science, Chemical Engineering or related degree.
- Three plus years supervisory experience in a Union environment
- Proficient in PI System (Process Information System) utilization or equivalent process database.
- Knowledge of JDE or equivalent CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System).
- LSS (Six Sigma) Green Belt Certification or working toward a green belt
How you will impact WestRock:
- Actively promote and model safety in all aspects of daily mill operations.
- Implement process improvement projects to optimize equipment and reduce downtime.
- Optimize recovery boiler operation and power generation to maximize pulp production and reduce downtime and costs
- Communicate with other department managers to optimize mill production
- Review environmental compliance measures daily
- Promote team concept with supervisors and operators to assure continuity in reaching common production goals.
- Ensure the training program for operators and shift supervisors is current and appropriate trainings levels are met.
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving operating issues daily including identification & execution on long term corrective actions.