WestRock has an opportunity for an Operations Manager at our facility in Huntsville, AL. Huntsville Recycle is a small paper and plastic recycling facility with 10-12 total people involved in our operations (including drivers). The Operations Manager at this plant will be required to fill in from time to time on forklift, front-end loader, and other utility functions to assist personnel.We are committed to creating and increasing the WestRock Recycling presence in Huntsville and the surrounding areas. Our success is directly related to our co-workers, their safety and efficiency. The position would report to the General Manager of the facility. With that in mind, our Operations Manager has the following responsibilities:
o Ensure employees are operating in a safe manner and following the procedures and policies set forth by WestRock.
o Execute the training and associated tasks of the requires Safety programs.
o Maintain and create a strong safety culture.
o Address unplanned and scheduled maintenance issues.
o Responsible for ensuring quality systems are in place and comply with customer specifications.
o Manage and solve maintenance issues as they arise.
o Oversight of major projects.
o Oversee logistics for the shipping and receiving of raw materials.
o Oversee the organization of the work space and tools to increase efficiency.
o Make sure the daily housekeeping is in place and kept up with.
o Oversight of plant purchases – production supplies – E-Pro system.
o Maintain compliance is all areas including, but not limited to OSHA, EPA & all local codes.
o Conduct business where the WestRock values (Integrity, Respect, Accountability & Excellence) are core to day-to-day activities.
o Ensure all environmental compliance issues are addressed on a timely basis.
o Facilitate daily meetings and seek input from all co-workers.
o Manage employees to include schedules, training, productivity and discipline when necessary.
o Create and oversee the daily production schedule.
Direct supervision of the shift supervisor, maintenance and all plant employees.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to Execute - Targets and achieves results, sets and accomplishes challenging goals, prioritizes and manages tasks effectively, maintains an organized system to monitor progress, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets standards, responsibilities and provides leadership/motivation.
• Commitment to Task - Meets commitments, works independently, accepts ownership of projects and outcomes, takes personal responsibility and sets objectives/standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements, shows a sense of urgency about getting results.
• Communication - Clearly exchanges thoughts, ideas and messages through written, verbal and non-verbal methods that promote an understanding with the target audience. Creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers engaging presentations, shares information and ideas with others in a timely manner. Listens carefully and attentively.
• Customer Focus - For both internal and external customers, builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met in a timely manner, solicits opinions and ideas from customers.
• Diversity - Supports an inclusive workplace, incorporates different viewpoints and ideas to maximize performance and contributions of employees, develops strengths in team members, deals respectfully with colleagues, customers and vendors at all levels, understands his/her role in building and sustaining a culture of high performance.
• Initiative - Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development, demonstrates a bias for action without prompting.
• Innovation - Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, pursues ongoing improvements, supports change, encourages originality, solves problems creatively.
• Quality - Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, continuously looks for improvements, finds root cause of problems, owns/acts on problems, seeks opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
• Safety Mindset - Promotes a respect for behavioral based safety, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports safety programs, policies/procedures, takes preventative and corrective action to address potential safety hazards and prevent future injuries, resists temptation to cut corners where safety is concerned, follows all safety related company policies and complies with location specific safety rules, drives safely on and off company property.
What You Need to Succeed:
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College degree preferred with a minimum of 3+ years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing setting as well as 2+ years of experience fostering a strong safety environment.
Maintenance experience and a strong mechanical aptitude, OSHA training, shipping and receiving/logistics experience, able to utilize your organization and planning skills in a manufacturing environment, recycling experience as well as experience with Six Sigma & Lean principles. Must have experience operating material handling equipment such as forklifts, skid steers and front-end loaders.
Must have forklift or heavy equipment experience. Must have experience in a manufacturing type of environment working with industrial equipment.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. May require the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. May require the ability to speak effectively before peers or employees of the organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of computer skills; proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook), WestRock systems.
This position requires strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning skills. The ability to work the hours needed to complete the daily tasks which could include long days and some weekends is also necessary.
What We Offer:
• Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence.
• Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities.
• An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential.
• A career with a global packaging company where Safety, Sustainability and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.