Eaton Mill has an immediate opening for an Assistant Production Superintendent. The incumbent will provide support to the operations of the Paper Machine and Stock Prep to expand the capabilities of the process, personnel, and sustain best in class operating and cost performance. This role will be heavily involved in training and development, identification, and execution of process improvement projects, assisting with the day to day operations in the production area, and troubleshooting the paper making process. Under the direction of the Production Superintendent, the successful candidate must exercise discretion and independent judgment in prioritizing work. Results are reviewed through mill key performance metrics for safety, quality, cost and productivity.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Accountable for mill safety result; actively promotes and models safety in all aspects of daily mill operations.
- Investigates and creates countermeasures for a safety or environmental incident in area.
- Responsible for machine production results: monitors production, operating efficiencies, and costs to maximize mill profitability.
- Oversees all activities including training, development, and performance management of union hourly employee production crews. Works with shift supervisors and other mill personnel to coordinate training and update materials as needed.
- Identifies and executes process improvement projects aimed at increasing safety, quality, and productivity utilizing LSS (Six Sigma) methodology.
- Identifies and prioritizes equipment maintenance
- Provides mill support as part of the Operations Call Duty rotation.
- Assists in troubleshooting and resolving operating issues on a daily basis including identification & execution of long-term corrective actions.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of scheduled field days and outages.
What you need to succeed:
- The preferred candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Paper Science or related field with 3 or more year’s operations and supervisory experience within the paper industry.
(In lieu of degree, candidates must possess at least 7 years progressive and practical paper making experience with 3 or more years of paper machine supervisory experience.)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Troubleshooting the paper making process using PI, DCs, paper machine, and Root cause analysis.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of PI (Process Information System) utilization or equivalent process database.
- Knowledge of JDE or equivalent CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System).
- Knowledge of MS Office applications with a strong focus on Excel in order to store, organize and analyze department operational data as well as generate training documents.
- Strong functional knowledge of the paper manufacturing process including understanding of the pulping process, screening & cleaning, wet end operations, pressing, drying, and winding.
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Keywords: paper machine superintendent, paper machine assistant superintendent, paper mill superintendent, paper mill manager, machine room manager, assistant pm superintendent, pm superintendent, paper machine manager, assistant superintendent, production superintendent, pulp dryer superintendent, OMC, paper machine, paper, forming, press, drying, dryer, calender, kraft paper, linerboard, containerboard, paperboard, forecasting, reporting, capex, capital equipment, capital expenditures, safety, purchasing, procurement, purchasing req, speed, yield, uptime, budgeting, data analysis, safety, cost, quality, production, continuous improvement, process improvement, six sigma, lean, TIR, winder, coated paper, liner, coater, coated board, wet end, screens, screen, winding, mill, capital execution, capital equipment