The Paper Machine Superintendent directs and leads the production operations of one or more paper machine(s) in the assigned facility. This position is responsible for creating a safe work environment, executing and continuously improving the quality, productivity, efficiency and cost of the operation. The Paper Machine Superintendent reports to the Operations Manager.
How you will impact WestRock:
Safety – Lead safety systems and processes that support achieving our continually improving annual goals
Environmental – Lead department environmental management systems to ensure compliance and environmental stewardship
Quality/Customer Satisfaction – focus on the “no fail basics” of quality and service coupled with innovation to be our customer’s preferred supplier
- Cost – Develop and maintain methods for tracking and reducing operational costs
- Production –Improve efficiency and effectiveness of department operations by analyzing the processes and utilizing all available tools, technology, and outside resources
- Capital Execution – Provide input to capital projects from inception through completion
Create an environment of respect and trust for our co-workers and customers
Empower and engage co-workers to improve our performance and lower our costs
Satisfy our customers every time
Do the right thing for WestRock – always
Command Skills Relishes leading; takes unpopular stands if necessary; encourages direct and tough debate but isn’t afraid to end it and move on; is looked to for direction in a crisis; faces adversity head on; energized by tough challenges.
Customer Focus Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Managerial Courage Doesn’t hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and constructive feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems in any situation quickly and directly; is not afraid to take difficult action when necessary.
Managing/Measuring Work Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
Motivating Others Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person’s strengths/weaknesses and use them to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
Problem Solving Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
Process Management Skilled Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
Drive for Results Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
What you need to succeed:
- Prefer Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline or commensurate experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of paper machine experience to include seven (7) years of operations/engineering experience and five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Capability to coordinate with site procurement in administration or third party contracted services and various subcontracts.
- Purchasing and Asset Management
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and operations planning. Working knowledge of planning and scheduling processes, computerized maintenance management systems and related maintenance recordkeeping.
Critical Learning Experiences
Experience leading resolution of a difficult situation or crisis
Involvement in budget or operating plan development for department
Disciplined Problem Solving
If this sounds great to you and you think you fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.