Performs laboratory testing of samples from process areas in the mill including but not limited to Chemical Recovery, Pulp Mill, Woodyard, Recaust, Paper Machines and Color Plant. Also responsible for compliance testing in regards to drinking water and NPDES related samples. To uphold ISO certification by controlled raw material testing and chemical tracking while also providing technical support to the mill.
How You will impact WestRock
· Responsible for day to day collection of mill samples.
· Read, develop and implement chemical procedures for mill operations.
· Set up and perform a variety of lab tests including but not limited to fiber loss, consistencies, volatile solids, ammonia, phosphate and moisture analysis.
· Responsible to assist in trials and on special projects.
· Maintain necessary log books and records associated with tests.
· Actively promotes and participates in all elements of the safety programs at WRK Mahrt Mill.
· Responsible for accurately entering lab data and generating reports.
· Responsible for actively participating in the ISO training/audit process.
· Responsible for regulatory NPDES and drinking water sampling.
· Responsible for maintaining all lab equipment and ordering of supplies for the lab.
· Responsible for maintaining and updating laboratory SOP’s.
· Actively promotes and participates in all elements of the safety program.
· Performs audits, housekeeping and safety related inspections. Promptly addresses any deficiencies noted.
· Ensures that laboratory quality of work meets customers’ expectations.
· Work to continue to improve the laboratory area equipment and processes.
· Understand and abide by environmental policies established by MWV, the state of Alabama and Federal environmental laws.
· Daily promote Management Operation System (MOS) by discussing with management areas that are of concern and communicating on a daily basis these concerns
· Establish high level of performance by helping to achieve key departmental goals and objectives
What You need to succeed
· Laboratory and/or manufacturing experience preferred
· Understanding the WRK Quality Policy and Environmental Policy.
· Must be able to perform numeric calculations.
· Basic computer skills including use of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
· Physical ability to operate in paper mill environment, including light to moderate lifting, walking and climbing, oral communication, correctable vision, and ability to work in a hot, humid, and dusty environment.
· Available, as needed, outside of normal working hours if department or mill issues arise. Frequent weekend work is required as well as occasional Holiday work.
· High school diploma and/or GED required
Must be able to obtain a Drinking Water Grade II certification through the Alabama Department of Environmental Management.