2nd Shift Sawmill Superintendent - Cottonton, AL
145 Highway 165 South, PO Box 178
Cottonton, Alabama, 36851-0178
** Mon – Fri, 4pm – 1:30am
EST (weekend hours as needed) **
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 350 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Primary Area of Responsibility:
Responsible for all Log Yard and Sawmill Department Operations.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Actively promotes and participates in all elements of the safety programs at WestRock Mahrt Operations.
- Reviews accident/incident investigation for any occurrences in the department.
- Review of production and quality results on a daily basis.
- Ensures Supervisors review of operators round sheets.
- Works with other salaried employees to ensure equipment downtime is fully utilized and/or scheduled in order to optimize the maintenance work that can be performed while it is down.
Safety, Environmental, Quality, Production & Cost:
- Actively promotes and participates in all elements of the safety program.
- Requires supervisors to perform housekeeping and safety related inspections and then promptly address any deficiencies found.
- Participates in department morning/afternoon meetings.
- Ensures that Log Yard and Sawmill team members are aware of customer expectations.
- Understanding of Sawmill Optimization and quality guidelines.
- Work closely with sales to manage the sawmill production mix.
- Assist sales with review of Root Cause Analysis for customer complaints.
- Manage production activities for the Sawmill and Log Yard Departments.
- Troubleshoot and problem solves issues that occur.
- Lead effort on Root Cause Analysis.
- Promotes team work and credibility with other departments at WestRock Mahrt Operations.
- Manage all Log Yard and Sawmill Operational cost.
- Understand key drivers to cost in department.
- Understand and abide by environmental policies established by WestRock, the state of Alabama and Federal environmental laws.
- Report any environmental excursions promptly.
- Abides by current union-management labor agreements.
- Establish high level of performance by setting key departmental goals.
- Establish KPI format to include safety, quality, and environmental efficiency.
What you need to succeed:
- A college degree is strongly recommended or a minimum of 6 years of supervisory experience in sawmill position.
- Manufacturing background--any industry (sawmill is preferred / plus)
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Must be dedicated to continuous improvements with special emphasis on safety, quality, environment, production, and cost.
- Proficient in all computer applications.
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Keywords: sawmill superintendent, sawmill manager, mill superintendent, mill manager, production superintendent, production manager, sawmill, wood products, lumber, log yard, logyard, safety, quality, cost