WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Superintendent, Fiber - Charleston, SC
5600 Virginia Ave
North Charleston, South Carolina, 29406
This position reports directly to the mill’s Fiber and Utilities Manager and will provide safety, operational and employee leadership for the Pulp, Chemical Production, and Woodyard areas.
The Charleston, SC Mill is a complex, fully integrated pulp and paper manufacturing facility with two machines that manufacture linerboard and specially kraft board. This is a unionized facility with approximately 400 employees.
What you need to succeed:
seven plus years’ progressive and practical pulping operation experience including three plus years’ supervisory experience.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Pulp & Paper Science or related degree
- Knowledge of and experience with continuous digesters
- Knowledge of and experience in brown stock washing
- Knowledge of and experience with the re-causticizing process
- Knowledge and experience of Woodyard operations
- Experience working in a Union environment
How you will impact WestRock:
- Provide strategic leadership to achieve key operation objectives in safety, environmental compliance, reliability, production, and cost
- Drive a safety-focused culture, regularly engage in and encourage safety participation among crews including facilitating safety meetings.
- Lead team of supervisors and highly skilled technicians in a fast paced, high energy environment.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency and accountability in:
o Safety & Housekeeping
o Prioritizing and processing work
o Supporting routine and annual outages
o Planning, assigning, and providing follow-up of work
- Understand and communicate goals in quality and production
- Assist driving environmental compliance for department.
- Assist with departments adherence to corporate policies.
- Assist with setting expectations for all direct and indirect reports, meeting and surpassing established mill and departmental goals and objectives.
- Assist Fiber and Utilities Manager in driving key actions to achieve control and continuous improvements such as Byproduct Recoveries, Liquor Soda Balance, Energy Conservation, optimizing Pulp processes and woodyard efficiency, etc.
What we offer: orporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.