The Business Unit General Manager reports to the Area Vice President, with Profit and Loss responsibility for WestRock’s Corrugated Packaging New England Business Unit (Devens, Wakefield, and Springfield, MA). The BUGM will provide leadership to sales, production, customer service, transportation and logistics, safety, human resources, financial, environmental, quality, maintenance, engineering and community relations. Responsible for creating a plan that outlines how the Business Unit will meet the objective of achieving overall budget or better. Directly responsible for providing leadership, mentoring, coaching and direction to direct reports, including establishing goals and being accountable for achieving those goals. The position can be based out of Devens or Wakefield.
How are you going to impact WestRock:
· Direct the sales and production of a multi-plant division to meet short and long-range divisional objectives with optimum efficiency
· Lead through change and adversity, makes the tough call when needed, builds consensus when appropriate, motivates and encourages others. Holds self and others accountable for performance and achievement of goals. Demonstrates high integrity of character.
· For both internal and external customers, builds customers’ confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met in a timely manner, solicits feedback and ideas from customers.
· Work with Finance Manager and Regional Business Analytics Manager to analyze sales and manufacturing problems/issues in plant and provide creative solutions; monitor and report results against established key performance indicators including clear weekly reporting metrics
· Assist in recruiting, hiring, training and managing key positions within assigned Business Unit
· Establish a working relationship and consistent communication with Business Unit management team and other General Managers within the Region to build effective alliances with other Business Units to better serve customers that cross multiple business units
· Ensure that Business Unit Customer Service, Logistics, and Planning team is meeting overall service objectives
· Ensure goal of exceeding regional safety, productivity, labor, waste and quality measures are being met
· Work with Corporate Sales Manager and Business Unit Sales Manager on strategic Business Unit growth opportunities and ensure sales team is developing and implementing a strong pipeline
· Build effective partnerships with union and union stewards; intervene with union issues and negotiations when necessary
· Maintain WestRock assets, including building, land, equipment vehicles and other company assets
What you need to succeed:
· Strong leadership skills with at least five years in a leadership role within a manufacturing environment; corrugated packaging industry leaders are strongly preferred
· Business-to-business solutions sales experience in a manufacturing or service industry; demonstrated ability to drive new business
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred; high school diploma or equivalent required
· Previous budgetary / P&L experience required, box industry or related preferred
· Strong analytical and computer skills
· Ability to respond quickly to changing demands, processes and updated information
· Ability to build strong relationships, welcome newcomers and promote a team atmosphere, flexible and open minded, negotiate effectively, solicit feedback, value other’s opinions, help achieve team and individual goals, effective interpersonal skills
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.