This role will provide strategic direction and operating framework whilst effectively managing the management teams of four Beverage converting manufacturing facilities (Yate near Bristol (UK), Trier (Germany) Bilbao (Spain), Svitavy (Czech Republic). Total sales revenue circ $200 million and approximate 650 employees.
Ensuring safety is a number one priority and human and capital resources are used, developed and integrated to optimum levels to meet company objectives, satisfy customer requirements and achieve sustainable levels of profitability.
This is a critical leadership position within the EMEA Beverage business and the job holder will be directly managing a team of highly performing and high potential individuals. They must therefore command respect and trust from this team and require strong leadership and people management abilities.
This position will be based either in Yate (UK) or Trier (Germany), and reports to the GM of Beverage EMEA.
• Lead and promote WestRock’s safety, health and environmental policies and compliance with local legislation
• Establish consistency in best practice manufacturing operating standards. Implement and promote best practice sharing, maximizing lean manufacturing techniques and Performance Excellence methodology.
• Manage effective short-term business planning and forecasting in line with divisional strategy/goals and establish objectives with employees in support of these plans to achieve current year targets whilst ensuring sustainable longer-term growth and profitability.
• Assist in defining divisional/business strategy and medium-long term plans to ensure that products and service offerings match existing and future market needs and the achievement of business returns in line with the company's strategic goals.
• Ensure there is effective communication and cooperation with the commercial teams across the business, to maintain effective and profitable manufacturing efficiencies.
• Ensure that the manufacturing and site management processes of the units employ best practice techniques to achieve maximum operational efficiency and sustained improvements in quality, service and operating costs, thereby matching continual increases in customer expectations and securing maximum returns on investment.
• Work effectively with the Finance leads to ensure the local plant managers have a very good understanding of the core financial drivers and measures for their locations.
• Ensure that the cell procurement function maintains effective relationships with suppliers and achieves a level of performance, which matches chosen benchmarks and indices.
• Work closely with the Sales and Marketing leads to ensure that manufacturing and sales interact effectively with one another.
• Produce productivity/profit improvement plans for all sites to deliver year on year measurable productivity improvements.
• Develop and agree overall labour and capital plans for the business units, varying such plans as necessary to ensure that these valuable resources are fully utilized and developed to match changing market circumstances and provide the foundation for profitability.
• Graduate calibre, degree qualification (preferably in a technical/Business discipline)
• Business/Professional Qualification or program
• Ideally a Black Belt in Manufacturing Excellence
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 5-10 years broad experience within a General management /Ops Director level position covering multiple site and European locations
• Experience of business reorganization and integration
• Experience of managing centralized functions with associated cost controls/benefits
• Experience of management within a unionized manufacturing environment
• Knowledge of good manufacturing practice (GMP)
• Evidence of having effectively managed significant change
• Evidence of employing negotiating and consultation skills effectively.
• Solid understanding of the current Safety, Health, Environmental and Employment, legislation.
• Understanding of internal/external customer/supplier relationships.
• Understanding of Information Systems and their employment within a business and value in offering consolidated information for integrated businesses.
• Business and commercial awareness/exposure
• Excellent Leadership skills
• Presentation I communication skills.
• Numerical/ verbal reasoning skills at management norm.
• Financial management/business dynamics
• Fluent speaking and writing in English and ideally one other European language