WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
This position will work closely with experienced millwrights to learn how to install, troubleshoot, and repair machinery and equipment to help ensure that the mill operates as needed to achieve necessary production goals.
In this role, you will be responsible for learning:
* Mill production processes and machine centers, including how they work, machine components i.e. (sprockets, bearing, sheaves, cylinders, gearboxes, etc.), and the functions of each component to proper operation of the machine.
* How to repair each machine with either the replacement of part or repair the machine through other means (welding, brazing, fabrication, etc.)
* How to recognize the components that are being replaced (make, model, size, etc.) so that new parts can be purchased or manufactured.
* How to learn to weld for purposes of repair and fabrication.
* How to figure ratios of gearboxes and components in order to achieve proper speed in relation to each machine's proper feed or conveying speed for correct and smooth operation of the machine.
* How to fabricate replacement parts or components (shaft assemblies, brackets, braces, etc.) as well as building new structural components for use in the various machine centers.
* How to align or re-align machines for correct operation without machine defects on the product being manufactured.
* The correct use of alignment tools (calipers, straight edges, tape measures, shim stock, etc.) for use in aligning machines, couplings, conveyor belts, sheaves, sprockets, bearings, motors, gearboxes, etc.
* The proper and safe use of an oxy/acte torch for the purpose of repairs or fabrication.
As you learn, you'll be expected to:
* Install, troubleshoot, and repair machinery and equipment
* Proactively inspect and maintain equipment to help avoid costly failures
* Use a variety of hand tools, measuring tools, and equipment for cutting, welding, and fabricating
* Assist operators as needed to help make sure the plant and all machines operate efficiently
* Partner with operations to help ensure the mill operates at its best to achieve production goals
* Keep safety as a core value thru teamwork and participation
* Always work safe and comply with workplace safety laws and requirements
* Comply with Company policies and exhibit professional conduct at all times.
* Clean up at the end of shift to make sure your job site(s) are well-organized and free of unnecessary clutter
What you need to succeed:
* Strong commitment to safety and continuous learning
* Ability to stand/walk throughout the day, lift up to 50 lbs., and work at heights of 60 feet above the ground on ladders, catwalks and in man lifts
* Basic analytical and mechanical skills
* Ability to able to work any shift, including weekends, overtime, and work on standby status
* Basic computer skills and understanding of basic math and measurements
* Good communicator, cooperates and relates well with others, and is open to new ideas and considers others opinions
* Actively participate in a team-based environment to ensure shift accountability and to provide effective customer support
Education and Experience:
* High School Diploma or GED
* Employed at Summerville Lumber Mill for at least 6 months
* Clean safety record for the past year or since hire date (new hires)
* Satisfactory attendance record and job performance for the past year or since hire date (new hires)
* Working knowledge of manufacturing machinery, equipment, and tools
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled