WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Under the direction of the department supervisor, this position is responsible for helping to ensure the safety and productivity of all maintenance employees on assigned shift or team and for ensuring that maintenance work is executed according to plan and within all time, cost and quality parameters. This is a participative foreman position and candidates must be willing to spend nearly all of their time in the mill supporting the team and helping where and when needed, up to and including repairing, installing, and operating equipment during the shift. He/she will be required to perform work in conditions that are sometimes less than ideal, such as outdoors during inclement winter, including exposure to wood dust and loud noises daily. Must possess the ability to lead by example, direct a team fairly, motivate a team, and the ability to learn and participate in the timekeeping process with the department supervisor. This is not a supervisor position and does not have direct reports.
How you will impact WestRock:
* Under the director of the team supervisor, plan work for assigned maintenance team
* Order and/or expedite parts to ensure parts are available when needed
* Ensure that critical and emergency work orders are completed timely and accurately
* Foster a safe work environment, comply with workplace safety laws, and lead safety activities.
* Responsible for training millwrights to prepare for skills demonstration and to help ensure they are trained for assigned work
* Work closely with the maintenance planner during mill outages to plan work orders and ensure timely completion
* Help team members resolve problems
* Continuously seek opportunities to improve department performance through productivity improvement, cost reduction, and quality
* Install, troubleshoot, and repair machinery and equipment to help ensure continued production
* Proactively inspect and maintain equipment to help avoid costly failures
* Use a variety of hand tools, measuring tools, and equipment for cutting, welding, and fabricating to completed necessary repairs and installations.
* Utilize cranes and trucks to complete large projects
* Assist operators as needed to help make sure the plant and all machines operate efficiently
* Responsibilities do not include administrative supervision, i.e. performance reviews, discipline issues and other HR matters.
* Clean up at the end of shift to make sure your job site(s) are well-organized and free of unnecessary clutter
What you need to succeed:
* Strong commitment to safety and clean safety record for past year
* Ability to work weekends and respond to after-hours calls
* Satisfactory safety, attendance and job performance for the past year or since hire date (new hires)
* At least 5 years' experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing both hydraulic and pneumatic machinery and equipment in an industrial manufacturing facility
* Expert in welding, cutting, and fabricating materials and parts
* Experience working with or around electrical connections
* Ability to demonstrate leadership abilities and the able to work effectively in a team environment
* Good oral and written communications skills
* Proven ability to lead, motivate others, and work effectively in a team environment
* Continuous improvement Mindset
* Working knowledge of Microsoft and Avantis software, preferred
* Prior experience in the lumber industry preferred
* High School Diploma or GED
* Education beyond high school, preferred
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled