Mill Mechanic – Lynchburg, VA
The Mill Mechanic performs various maintenance procedures including installation of equipment, troubleshooting, piping and tubing, use of oxy/acetylene torch for cutting and heating and stick welding carbon or stainless steel. The mechanic is expected to follow plant safety procedures such as Lockout/Tagout and perform pre-task checklists. Typically, a day shift position, overtime may be required to complete equipment repair, perform maintenance on extended machine outages or other requirements that may arise.
The position reports to the Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent but at times may be reporting to the Maintenance Manager, Production Superintendent, Production Supervisor or General Manager depending on who is present during the time.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Participates in the safety program for the maintenance department and works to exceed all safety standards and requirements mandated by the plant and OSHA
- Understand basic piping and tubing requirements including correct fittings, couplings and unions. Able to cut and thread pipe up to 3 inches for installation
- Understand and be able to troubleshoot, repair and maintain motors, drives, couplings, bearings, seals, etc. Maintain mechanical components and perform machine alignments
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment
- Fabricate parts & equipment as necessary
- Perform basic stick welding on carbon and stainless steel. Able to safety utilize oxy/acetylene torch for heating and burning
- Ability to construct frame and pour concrete for equipment bases.
- Ability to read and understand shop drawings for equipment installation and troubleshooting
- Assist in failure analysis to improve work and equipment performance
- Maintain clean work area and perform housekeeping as required.
- Other Duties as assigned
What you need to succeed:
- Welding & Cutting
- Ability to use hand tools such as saws, wrenches, micrometers, lather, keycutter, torches, etc
- Ability to communicate effectively across departments
- AS – degree from technical school (related experience may substitute)
- Minimum of 5 years maintenance experience, preferably in a heavy industrial setting
- Excellent problem solving ability
- JDE or other computer experience
- Knowledge of paper mill processes and equipment
- Physical requirements: Heights, confined space, ability to lift 51 lbs and carry up to 50 lbs
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.