E&I Superintendent - Charleston, SC
5600 Virginia Ave
North Charleston, South Carolina, 29406
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 350 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Plans, organizes, and supervises the work of the Electrical and Instrumentation Department employees in the construction, operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of electrical motors, instrumentation systems, process controls, motor control centers, all distribution and communication lines. Achieves high reliability of the mill’s electrical distribution system, machine and process controls, and drives. Direction is given by the Maintenance Manager, but the incumbent must exercise wide discretion and independent judgment while prioritizing the work and directing the department. Work is reviewed through conferences, inspection, activity reports, and results achieved.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Supervises, plans, organizes, assigns, and inspects the work of Electrical and Instrumentation Department
- Plans and develops work schedules, equipment usage schedules, priority of electrical and instrumentation expenditures and procedures for equipment maintenance
- Oversees development of new methods and procedures to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Oversees all other operations in the department including the approval and review of contracts; purchase and replacement of equipment, tools, and other inventory; purchasing of departmental items; development of a departmental budget and monitoring of expenditures; monitoring of electric and instrumentation needs
- Designs electrical, control and instrumentation systems for installation in capital projects, new additions and system extensions
- Manages the preventive maintenance of critical electrical and instrumentation systems – transformers, switchgear, breakers and relays and measuring devices, transmitters and calibration frequencies
- Directs responses to emergency service calls concerning power outages and electrical and instrumentation problems
- Oversees or arranges staff training and development
- Ensures and enforces adherence to established safety standards, including NFPA-70E
- Reviews preliminary plans of proposed new projects
- Accountable for the on-site management of trade contractors
- Maintains time, work order, material, equipment and other electrical and instrumentation maintenance and calibration records and submits reports.
- Ensures budgeting guidelines are met; prioritizes shop expenditures to stay within budget and assists in preparation of capital and operations budgets
- Cultivates a working relationship with managers, supervisors, fellow employees, and customers/clients encouraging a cooperative environment
- Assists in the development and implementation of department goals and objectives
- Develops, communicates and directs deployment of mill’s Electrical SMS topic
- Oversees ISO critical equipment calibration requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Materials, tools, and equipment in electrical, controls and instrumentation construction, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of electrical applications for high and low voltage electrical systems.
- Thorough and working knowledge of National Electrical Code, National Electrical Safety Code and NFPA-70E.
- PLC and DCS programming, troubleshooting, repair and installation
- Electrical variable speed drives AC/DC
- Supervisory principles and practices and ability to lead direct and indirect reports through normal operations / upsets, emergency tasks and shut down / start up activities
- Computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and data base applications and graphics to store, organize and analyze department and mill operational data.
- Distributed control systems programming, troubleshooting and installation
- Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to present information in a clear and concise manner to staff and employees at all levels, and create grammatically correct reports.
- Strong leadership ability along with high ethical standards – uncompromising on worker safety, equipment integrity / safety and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Interacts effectively with all levels of personnel, both hourly and management.
- Plan, schedule, organize and execute tasks to meet deadlines.
- Make/implement operational changes to improve efficiency, productivity and quality of service.
- Make effective and supportable personnel decisions, evaluate performance, discipline constructively, and handle employer/employee problems and grievances.
- Supervise, train and motivate employees
- Analyze and resolve problems
- Exercise independent and discretionary judgment
What you need to succeed:
- A four-year degree in Electrical / Instrumentation Engineering discipline is preferred.
- A candidate with a two-year E & I certificate and 5-8 years of relevant experience, or completion of an E & I certified or recognized apprenticeship or equivalent training and 5-8 years of relevant experience will be strongly considered.
- Experience with electrical distribution and transmission is highly desirable.
- Experience with DCS and PLC controls systems is highly desirable.
- Active OSHA 10-Hour and/or 30-Hour Outreach Certification a plus
- Current NEC safety code and NFPA-70E certification is highly desirable.
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Keywords: E&I superintendent, E&I maintenance superintendent assistant E&I superintendent, assistant E&I maintenance superintendent, electrical maintenance supervisor, electrical & instrumentation supervisor, electrical & instrumentation superintendent, electrical maintenance superintendent, e&I maintenance supervisor, e&I maintenance superintendent, electrical and instrumentation superintendent, e&I superintendent, E&I, E & I, Electrical and Instrumentation, Electrical Instrumentation, EI supervisor, EI Superintendent, EI maintenance supervisor, EI maintenance superintendent, E&I Supervisor, e/I superintendent, electrical engineering, instrumentation, PLC, DCS, switchgear, switchgears, breakers, relays, transmitters, NFPA, budgets, budgeting, capital projects, troubleshooting, electrical motors, electric motors, instrumentation systems, pulp, paper, linerboard, containerboard, tissue