WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Inside Service Technician, Battle Creek, MI
4075 West Columbia Ave
Battle Creek, Michigan, 49037
The Inside Service Technician will be responsible for troubleshooting customer issues by phone and recording the incident in the BOD database. This will require learning multiple Box on Demand systems at a high level and be able to communicate effectively with remote customers. This position will also develop training and troubleshooting documentation. Occasional travel, possibly. Right now, the duties include a rotation of only once every 10th week of after hours/weekend phone support. Could be less.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Our success depends on our Customers continued utilization of our equipment to meet their custom packaging needs. Customer satisfaction is a critical goal and we respond to inquiries in a timely manner and coordinate customer service needs with other departments as required.
- Handles problem recognition, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine customer problems, escalating, more complex issues to the Field Engineering team or department management.
- Create training and diagnostic tools for internal and external customers on how to utilize the equipment for efficient production. Multiple methods of entry are common to our machines and training is critical to the successful implementation of our equipment.
- Ability to differentiate minor from significant issues and escalate appropriately. We provide emergency repair if a customer needs immediate assistance where a Field Engineer would be dispatched in short notice.
· We provide on going phone technical support to external customers (rotation; once every 10th week, for evenings/one weekend) and resolve issues regarding hardware and software. The applicant will need the ability to talk a customer through an issue and escalate to the next level when appropriate.
· We are a team of professionals dedicated to continuously improving our service to the customer. This includes installation, maintenance, customer training, internal training, as well as systemic improvements. We openly share our successes and failures so the team as a whole continues to improve.
- Complete service documentation as required. Logs and tracks all service order activity in our database, maintains history records and related problem documentation
- The Service Technician is responsible for closing service calls at time of completion. This action then prompts customer invoices, relieves inventory of parts used and ultimately leads to our objective of accurate reporting.
- Drives a sense of urgency to ensure customer needs are addressed promptly and with an emphasis on fixing the root cause
- Excellent follow‐up skills to insure we exceed customer expectations, and close outstanding issues in a timely manner
- Strong communication and listening skills
· May occasionally prepare machines for installation, including minor wiring, unloading, proving out interfaces, photographing current state, and assembly of equipment or components.
What you need to succeed:
- Strong machine controls, networking, and mechanical aptitude
· Electrical and mechanical blueprint interpretation.
· Ability to communicate effectively using multiple aspects including text, email, instant messaging and phone.
- History of troubleshooting industrial equipment
- Must be highly proficient at multitasking with a drive to complete tasks efficiently
- Sense of Urgency ‐Must be action oriented with the ability to prioritize daily activities and determine what requires immediate attention.
- Strong Interpersonal and Communication skills ‐must be able to remain calm when dealing with difficult customers/peers and have strong communications skills both with internal associates and external customers. Must be a true professional at all times. Team orientated, positive attitude and motivator.
- Ability to adapt ‐must be flexible and understanding with change as it occurs regularly in this role throughout his/her day/week. Must be able to think quickly and respond positively to those changes.
- Able to travel 5% of the time
- Associates degree in electrical, industrial, mechanical or military equivalent preferred but not required
- 3 + years of prior field service experience with machine installation is preferred
- PLC and PC controls experience is desirable
- Highly computer literate (especially in Excel, Word, and Networking)
- Strong deductive reasoning and problem‐solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.