Counsel- Real Estate
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Title: Counsel, Real Estate (Atlanta, GA)
- Contribute to the development of legal strategies involving WestRock’s real estate matters which align and achieve strategic business objectives of WestRock
- Work closely with (a) the WestRock Director – Real Estate / Facilities (“Director”), (b) current contract lawyer who provides legal services for real estate matters, (c) WestRock environmental counsel and engineers in managing various types of environmental issues that arise; and (d) WestRock’s outside real estate brokers.
- Provide sound advice and counsel to the various WestRock businesses in guiding them and the Director in strategic decisions that will promote the Company’s interest
- Identify legal risks and develop mitigation strategies to protect the interests of WestRock
- Evaluate and resolve various real estate issues that routinely arise involving, for example, responsibility for maintenance or damage to properties and for contamination issues.
- Prepare contract approvals for agreements and other actions under the Legal Authority Matrix (LAM)
How you will impact WestRock:
- Handles many activities simultaneously; ability to remain organized in busy periods an advantage·
- Takes a lead role in negotiating leases and other matters with others in routine or non-complex situations; identifies and removes barriers to agreements
- Tries multiple strategies/actions to persuade others; discusses/considers alternatives
- Persuades others toward a specific course of action, and bargains for win-win solutions; provides input into future negotiation processes or strategies
- Demonstrates agility, flexibility, and a willingness to modify one’s approach to achieve desired results; responds quickly to changing demands, processes, and updated
- Plans, prioritizes, and manages time spent on accomplishing tasks to increase productivity and efficiency; demonstrates awareness and control over amount of time spent on activities; meets deadlines
What you need to succeed:
- Experience in and knowledge of real estate legal practice including, but not limited to, laws, governmental regulations and practices
- Microsoft Office - Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Required: 5 to 8 years of experience in a law firm real estate department, in-house department
- Strong track record of effectively partnering with business partners to drive appropriate results, providing legal perspective to multiple areas of business
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.