WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
The opportunity:The Longview Mill Safety & Health Director acts as a change agent focused on building a culture of safety, implementing best practices. This position will effectively lead, supervise, coach and develop the Longview Mill safety resource staff to support the safety needs of the mill as well as the personal development of the team. The S&H Director is also a member of the Mill Management Leadership Team with a primary focus on health and safety. This role also has various corporate responsibilities including: performing corporate safety audits at other locations, membership on the Corporate HSE Steering Team and on various Corporate HSE Work Teams. This position reports to the VP, Corporate Safety
How you will impact WestRock:
* Champion a safety culture focused on safe production, adoption of best practices, and eliminating harm to employees.
* Strategic responsibility for the Safety & Health Management System at the Longview Paper Mill.
* Leverage professional expertise to coach managers, supervisors, and employees to drive ongoing evaluation and continuous improvement of the operation's safety culture.
* Develop processes and programs to strengthen and enhance mill-wide Safety & Health Leadership.
* Supervise the on-site Medical Department.
* Ensure that the site is in compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and Local Safety & Health Regulations.
* Ensure that OSHA Record keeping and Reporting requirements are met.
* Manage the site's Contractor Safety Program.
* Ensure that high-quality Safety & Health Training is delivered and tracked.
* Oversee the implementation of an employee driven Behavior Observation Process.
* Interface with OSHA and other regulatory agencies during mill inspections.
* Lead Safety Investigations to identify root causes, develop and help others develop appropriate corrective actions, and monitor the completion of corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
* Other duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed:
* B.S. Degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related field.
* M.S. Degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related field is preferred.
* Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH) or Safety Professional (CSP) is preferred.
Previous Work Experience
* 10 years of Safety & Health leadership experience in a manufacturing environment.
* Experience implementing a Safety & Health Management System.
* Experience leading a successful change in Safety Culture at a facility.
* Experience with implementing and sustaining an employee driven Behavior Observation Process.
* Advanced knowledge of Industrial Hygiene principles & practices.
* Experience in leading & conducting comprehensive Safety & Health Audits.
* Experience with Root Cause Analysis methodology.
* Experience in developing & presenting Safety & Health Training.
* Experience supporting plant operations.
* Experience working with government regulators.
* Experience working in a union facility is preferred.
Physical Requirements of job may include:
* Climbing, Balancing, Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching, Crawling, Reaching, Walking, Driving
* Working in extreme temperatures and noise, subject to mechanical and chemical hazards
* Requires 15-20% Travel
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled