WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Manage the on-site medical center for our pulp and paper mill which supports 1,000+ employees amongst the administrative office and manufacturing operations. Performs adult occupational health medical evaluations, referrals & treatment, surveillance testing, health screenings, vaccination administration, case management intervention in work related injury/illness and advises and makes referrals in non-work related injury/illness. Collaborates with workers comp department to return the employees to work with optimal outcomes after an injury. This position reports to the mill safety manager, supporting the Longview Mill, in addition to the Longview, Yakima and Seattle Box plants
Primary Job Responsibilities
* Provides medical evaluation, treatment, and referrals for all workplace injuries and illnesses. Provides case management, referrals, rehabilitation follow up and return to work of injured/ ill employees.
* Clearly communicate employee injury status to management.
* Ensures completion of New Hire Pre-placement evaluations and screenings and annual compliance testing and procedures for all employees, including random screening and return to work employees.
* Provides preventative vaccinations as required.
* Develops and participates in wellness promotion, collection of biometrics and health coaching with employees.
* Interact with on-site emergency rescue teams including EMTs.
* Ensure compliance with federal, state and local safety/medical laws, regulations, codes and rules remain in compliance.
* Regularly audit systems, procedures, programs, and practices to ensure effectiveness; maintain medical compliance systems.
* Provide subject matter expertise; develop practical solutions to resolve medical issues.
* Assist and back up workers compensation claims and costs to completion, interface with comp carrier, healthcare professionals, HR, and employees in return to work efforts.
* Maintains chart records with accuracy, collects data and tabulates reports on a regular basis.
* Maintains own professional growth and development and participates in the professional growth and development of the other department staff.
* Administration of the hearing conservation program and respiratory fit testing.
* Establish collaborative relationships with external medical support professionals to support the medical treatment and resources
* Position requires regular keyboarding, sitting, standing and walking as well as occasional lifting of 25 pounds or more. Work is performed in both an office and industrial environment.
* Position will require occasional travel to other operating facilities.
* Perform other duties as assigned
What you need to succeed:
* Registered Nurse's license for Washington State is required.
* BS Degree in Nursing
* Previous experience working as an Occupational Health Nurse, Emergency, Trauma or EMT experience preferred.
* Experience working with triage, hearing conservation, health & wellness programs and onsite facilitation of drug screening.
* CAOHC, pulmonary function and basic life support preferred
* Experience with OSHA record keeping and incident investigations preferred.
* Experience working with FMLA and Worker's Compensation helpful.
* Previous activity/involvement with safety committees beneficial.
* Willing and able to respond via telephone or in person beyond normal business hours. On call duty may extend to the occasional weekend and or holiday.
* Working knowledge of basic industrial hygiene principles.
* Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled