About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Quality & Technical Systems Manager - Battle Creek, MI
177 Angell Street
Battle Creek, Michigan, 49037
The Quality and Technical Systems Manager will be responsible for developing a culture of actively engaged people. Responsibilities also include customer satisfaction, quality assurance functions, product specifications, fit for use testing, product development, coating formulations and inventory management. This position will be a key member of senior mill staff and will provide leadership and strategic focus to all technical, quality and cultural facets of the operation.
How you will impact WestRock
· Develop a team of actively engaged people in the quality area and throughout the mill.
· Regularly advises or interprets information for supervisors/managers/operators and suppliers. Communicate with stakeholders to ensure quality requirements are understood on all shifts.
· Manage and maintain successful quality operations (lab operations, testing equipment, highly engaged quality team).
· Design and implement specifications and fit for use tests that meet customer needs.
· Actively build and maintain successful customer relations (customer visits, complaint management). Act as technical resource for customers (troubleshooting, optimization, training and education).
· Resolve customer complaints with focus on operator education, prevention of repeat problems and cost containment.
· Develop operational strategic plans and best practices that ensure the operating teams are achieving the mill’s quality, cost and customer satisfaction objectives.
· Advance quality systems for continuous improvement, certifications, customer regulatory letters, and product stewardship.
· Perform trials as needed to ensure our products are meeting the objectives of efficiency improvements and customer’s needs. Work with corporate research, mill operations, and vendors concerning trials.
· Effectively manage raw materials (includes ordering, delivery, storage, and inventory of process and coating chemicals).
What you need to succeed
· Must have demonstrated leadership around safety and support the mill’s safety initiatives.
· Knowledge in paper manufacturing operation, coating technology, quality/assurance, and statistical process control
· Need to possess a strong sense of urgency with a high level of attention to detail and maintain accurate, timely results
· Strong leadership skills focused on accountability and results with strong organization and planning skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills essential as position regularly requires advising, recommending, counseling, exchanging information, selling, persuading, influencing within all levels of the organization.
· Ability to effectively interact with external customers and vendors.
· Bachelor’s degree in Technical field such as Chemical Engineering, Paper Engineering
· At least 5-10 years’ experience in paper operations
· Able and willing to work nights, weekends and on call to meet operational needs.
· Must have excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
· Proficient computer skills (including MS Office,).
· Must be eligible to work in the United States.
What we offer
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.