About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Director Safety & Health, Mills - Atlanta, GA
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
Safety is a core value at WestRock, and we aspire to become an injury-free workplace. Every day, our 50,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in more than 320 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs. We are intently focused on servicing our customers and exceeding their expectations. Our commitment to safety is reflected in our enterprise-wide goal to eliminate Serious Injuries and Fatalities (SIF) and demonstrate industry leadership on safety and health.
Title: Director Safety & Health, Mills - Atlanta, Georgia
This position is for an experienced safety and health professional who will support WestRock’s, growing business as part of our corporate Environmental, Safety & Health and Sustainability (EHSS) department. As a Director, Safety & Health, you will be responsible for assisting WestRock mill operations in the U.S. The Director, Safety & Health is responsible for assisting sites with implementing the S&H Management system, developing and implementing effective injury prevention programs, ensuring compliance with company policies, standards and regulatory requirements and helping to build consistency throughout the company by providing functional/technical expertise to the Mill S&H personnel and assisting operational leaders with building a stronger safety culture. The position will be based at WestRock’s administrative headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.
The successful candidate must have multi-site experience with S&H management system implementation, leading incident investigations, training with hourly and management personnel, conducting S&H audits and driving cultural change.
How you will impact WestRock:
· Assist safety and corporate leaders in the revision and continuous improvement of WestRock’s Safety and Health Management System and work with operating personnel in implementing safety management systems consistent with WestRock’s corporate safety & health requirements.
· Work with site safety and operating personnel in implementing hazard identification and prevention programs and with the development and implementation of site-specific injury reduction plans.
· Lead, or assist plant management in leading, incident, near miss and SIF and potential SIF investigations to ensure root causes are determined and corrective actions are implemented. Analyze incident reports and evaluate injury case studies to aggressively pinpoint and mitigate safety risks.
· Build employee relationships and advance WestRock’s culture, safety knowledge and hazard mitigation through coaching, mentoring, and engagement with employees at all levels of the organization.
· Provide S&H technical assistance to the mills, including providing advice on machine guarding, process safety management, lockout/tagout, electrical, confined spaces, fall prevention, recordkeeping, reporting and other safety regulatory issues.
· Work with facilities to respond to, identify and implement actions required to address safety audit findings in a timely, effective and cost-efficient manner.
· Conduct safety and health training for facilities as necessary, utilizing and coordinating with WestRock’s EHS Auditing and Training staff. Provide subject matter expertise for corporate-wide safety training sessions.
· Participate in WestRock Safety & Health audits as required.
· Analyze H&S data for trends and develop improvement plans.
· Assist sites and regions with preparing and responding to regulatory inquiries/notices of violations by federal, state, provincial and governmental safety and health authorities.
· Routinely visit assigned facilities to provide safety compliance assistance, and coaching, and assess compliance with applicable safety regulations and company policies.
What you need to succeed:
· BS Safety Engineering, Safety Sciences, Engineering or similar
· Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred
· Experience which includes supporting multiple locations
· Minimum of 8 years of previous safety experience in the pulp and paper industry preferred, or chemical or pharmaceutical process industry
· Experience implementing S&H Management Systems
· Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
· Strong communication, presentation, training and facilitation skills are essential
· Exemplary customer service skills and attention to detail
· Advanced to expert skills using Minitab, and the Microsoft suite, including Excel, PowerPoint and Access databases.
· Significant knowledge of U.S. Safety & Health laws and regulations and International requirements desired
· Willingness to travel approximately up to 50% of time with flexibility to prepare own travel schedule.
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.