WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Environmental Health and Safety Intern
1801 Concord Turnpike
Lynchburg, Virginia, 24504
The Environmental Health & Safety Intern (EHS Intern) provides assistance to the EHS Manager on matters involving safety, occupational health standards and risk assessment at the Lynchburg, VA paper mill. The successful candidate assists management via involvement in functional strategic direction for accomplishing our vision of Safety as a Core value while positively impacting operational excellence.
- Assists in all safety activities at the mill in a manner that meets or exceeds company and plant goals and objectives for safety
- Partners with key salaried and hourly leaders in the development and implementation of safety systems, processes and procedures needed to accomplish our vision of Safety as a Core Value resulting in an accident free workplace
- Assists in the evaluation the facility’s working conditions, including the audits and inspections of equipment to maximize employee safety and ensure compliance with government regulations
- Assists in the maintaining of required information (SES, OSHA 300 log, safe work observations program, lagging and leading indicators, etc) and analyze data to provide information to management to identify problem areas and safety trends and develop action plans to address findings
- Involvement in the Safety Incident Analysis process including quality assurance, corrective action tracking and effectiveness audits
- Provide daily activity management, tools, information and guidance to hourly safety teams so that their efforts are cohesive, uniform and coordinated, including annual safety training
- Support established safety teams to more effectively accomplish their missions
- Work under the leadership and guidance of the EHS Manager to effectively manage employee injuries, hearing conservation program, noise monitoring, confined space monitors, etc.
- Demonstrate behaviors that reflect the core principles of safety and a personal commitment to safety excellence
- Engage all plant employees in the safety process and empower them to take personal ownership for safety results
- Any other safety related duties as assigned
- Pursuance of a Bachelor’s degree in safety or occupational health or other related discipline (physical therapy, exercise science, etc) at an accredited school (actively enrolled).
- Strong interpersonal skills with a developed competency to influence others
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal). Must be an effective listener
- Clear ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines