About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Human Resources Leader - Cottonton, AL
Highway 165 South, PO Box 40
Cottonton, Alabama, 36851
At WestRock, we provide packaging solutions designed to give our customers a winning edge in the global marketplace. We partner closely with them to deliver the best value on everything from paperboard used for a wide variety of packaging and shipping containers to specialty packages, boxes and displays. We consider ourselves to be part of their team – as we strive for continuous improvement together. Every day, our 45,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in more than 300 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs.
The Human Resources Leader will proactively engage with the General Manager and Mill Leadership Team to develop an outstanding and high-performing work environment. This position is responsible for providing HR leadership and expertise, influencing business and talent outcomes for the Mahrt and Demopolis facilities. This position builds strong partnership relationships with the leaders and employees and brokers the support of the full HR function to ensure that the business and associated organizational/talent management objectives are achieved.
This position directs the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a diverse range of policies and procedures, in support of established mission and goals. It requires experience managing union grievance processes as well as the ability to proactively and effectively improve union relationships at all levels of the organization. As such, problem solving, coaching and conflict resolution are critical skills to be successful in this role.
How you will impact WestRock
- Lead key initiatives and provide solutions for employee relations, organization development, performance management, workforce planning and talent acquisition, development and succession planning. Design and lead initiatives which serve to advance the agenda of the function and ensure we have strong programming in place to attract, develop and retain the talent and capabilities needed to meet business objectives.
- Work closely with leaders and other members of the HR team to assess the pipeline of internal talent. Work with Talent Acquisition to create strategies that will attract outside talent.
- Work with Learning & Organizational Development and others to identify training needs and solutions for the mills as well as individual leadership coaching needs.
- Support effective employee relations within the team by advising on the appropriate deployment of HR and compliance policies and the development of a culture of positive employee engagement.
- Oversees all aspects of a multi-functional HR Department including Compensation, Employment, Benefits, Training, Safety and Health, Employee Relations, Talent Management, and Labor Relations.
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws including EEO, FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, and Collective Bargaining.
- Proven track record of analyzing HR processes and introducing improvements that have positive business impact and measurable ROI.
- Responsible for developing and continually improving the safety and health processes for the facility and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Conducts periodic training on applicable topics including sexual harassment, diversity, and employment law.
- Responsible for meeting the staffing needs of the organization. This includes the selection, testing, and hiring of employees as well as conducting new employee orientation.
- Coordinates labor relations activities including contract interpretation and grievance administration. Handles complaints, settles disputes, resolves grievances and conflicts, and conducts internal investigative procedures.
- Responsible for overseeing the administrative aspects of the human resources function including maintaining records and confidential employee files and providing statistical and regulatory reporting.
- Researches and introduces policy changes for General Manager and Leadership Team approval. Consults and advises Leadership Team on topics of interest that could have a major impact on employee morale.
What you need to succeed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related discipline
- Five to eight years of experience in a fast-paced HR or business role, with 3+ years in a labor union environment
- Broad experience in employee relations, organizational development & planning, talent management consulting and compensation/rewards. Demonstrated ability in applying functional knowledge to drive business challenges.
- A hands-on, self-motivated and goal-oriented individual who is an agent for positive change and innovation, inspiring employees to the highest standards of performance through frequent communication, good management practices, performance measurement systems, and leadership.
- A proven ability to take initiative to anticipate customer needs and recommend actions to address challenges.
- Proven business and financial acumen, able to work with credibility and influence functional leaders.
- Strong communications and ability to work in a matrixed environment; ability to build and maintain strong partnerships across multiple areas and geographies.
- Professional negotiating skills
- Ability to investigate and assess employee conflicts objectively and solve such issues using a variety of methods and tools, including coaching and conflict resolution
- Skilled user of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong organizational, analytical and project management skills
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.