WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
HR Generalist - HR Development Experience
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
Be a part of bringing strategic and transformative HR support to our business – creating and implementing plans as part of our overall business talent strategy, while learning our industry firsthand in some of our largest operations
Initial responsibilities will span across Covington and Lowmoor Operations in Virginia, with future assignments across WestRock. We’re looking for high performing, high potential team members who desire to accelerate their development in Human Resources!
How You will impact WestRock
· You’ll develop your HR skillsets partnering with managers and leaders at the operation to manage labor and employee relations, assess/acquire/develop talent, and create an amazing culture
· Some of the underlying activities include:
o Learning the WestRock business model and how HR adds value as a strategic business partner
o Managing the hiring process from recruiting to on-boarding. This includes screening resumes, arranging and administering pre-hire testing, arranging and facilitating interviews, communicating job offers, hiring, and organizing and facilitating orientation
o Managing and interpreting the collective bargaining agreement and as well as contractual disputes between company and union
o Involvement with and exposure to the grievance and arbitration process as well as collective bargaining
o Managing recognition programs
o Leading investigations (Ethics, Discrimination, Harassment, etc.)
o Maintaining documents and data related to HR functions and training
o Communicating and applying company policies as well as making recommendations for improvement
o Involvement with our engagement survey results communications and action planning
o Conducting training sessions
o Assisting in WestRock’s co-op and co-op recruiting and managing internal internship recruiting and placements (Demopolis)
o Providing support and guidance with compensation and benefits issues.
o Overseeing and supporting new programs in the mill (i.e. apprenticeship program)
o Monitoring employees out of work on FMLA/STD and facilitating their return to work with their teams
o Providing support to the HR Manager on employee relations manners
o Exposure to, and involvement in, the Talent Review process, including succession planning
o Hourly and salaried staffing
o Executing special projects and assignments as needed (HR continuous improvement projects)
What You need to succeed
· BS degree in related field such as Human Resources with 0 – 4 years of work experience as a human resources generalist/coordinator or in an operations environment, MBA a strong plus
· Demonstrated computer competency in MS Office; experience with Kronos is helpful
· Candidate must be upwardly and geographically mobile to be a fit for this role
· Additionally, the successful candidate will have strong abilities in the following competencies:
Excellent Customer Service Orientation
Courage to make tough decisions
What we offer
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability, and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.