We are looking for a Procurement Forester to join our team working in the southern Piedmont of Virginia to assist in aggressively managing fiber purchase requirements supporting the overall region objectives to maintain the lowest cost, highest quality fiber sourcing in support of the mill’s forecasted needs while maintaining the highest compliance with safety and environmental requirements. This Procurement Forester role will focus on working directly with private landowners and consultants to secure stumpage tract purchases supporting primarily WestRock’s Covington Mill system to defined targets annually utilizing contract harvest operations managed by this position. The position will be relied on to guide associates, support team initiatives, and provide strong customer service to our mill customers.
1. Lead, promote, enhance, and model WestRock’s safety and environmentally-conscious culture.
2. Assist the Area Manager in executing the annual strategic purchase plan to provide the highest value fiber to the digester across the annual cycle by purchasing and managing the harvest of targeted annual levels of stumpage fiber.
3. Assist in the development and lead ground level execution of the tactical plans supporting the annual strategy built on mill requirements, solid analysis, and robust understanding of market data, including proactively capturing pertinent market data, evaluating relevance to region strategy, identifying cost savings opportunities, and providing feedback and options to the Area Manager for decision making.
4. Work with other members of the regional team in the execution of the fiber supply plan with precision and a high sense of urgency, remaining flexible to adjust strategy and tactics given changes in market conditions and/or mill operations to sustain the highest value fiber to the digester across the annual cycle.
5. Effectively evaluate stumpage purchase opportunities and successfully negotiate pricing based on true market demands that provide high quality fiber to the digester at lowest possible costs. This includes the ability to comprehend external markets for higher-value products and to develop effective relationships with appropriate external markets that will improve stumpage purchasing capabilities in the working area.
6. Effectively recruit and maintain quality harvest contractors to ensure harvest of stumpage purchases are within desired timeframes, adhere to all external Best Management Practices (BMPs) standards and meet the landowner objectives, all while maintaining the lowest sustained harvest cost.
7. Communicate effectively with all stakeholders including peers, the fiber procurement team, management, landowners, external markets, and suppliers in verbal and written form related to relevant operations, strategies, and status of execution.
8. Assist the Area Manager in the development and reporting of timely and accurate financial information including budgets, forecasts, and projected spending.
9. Represent WestRock in the community by participation in associations, workshops, and civic and government affairs.
What You Need to Succeed:
Must have 3+ years of Forestry experience preferably related to direct interaction with external private landowners, successful negotiations for the purchase of private stumpage, timber cruising experience, and experience in recruiting and managing high quality contract logging operations to maintain targeted and consistent delivered fiber.
Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or related field (or 5 years of Forestry experience in the defined fields above).
What We Offer:
• Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
• Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
• An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
• A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.