WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Dispute and Collections Representative- Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
The Lansing location is seeking a Dispute and Collections Representative who will actively manage an A/R portfolio customer accounts within the Lansing, AR accounts team. This role is responsible for researching and reconciling customer disputes, payments, credits, invoices, and contracts to reflect the proper status and balance of the customer's account receivable and ensure timely payment recovery on invalid short payments/claims. Position handles significant high volumes of transactions which requires fast decision making and a self-starter requiring minimal supervision. Analyze historical customer payments and disputes to derive issues, trends and root cause analysis using multiple systems and customer supplied information. This is a critical role in reducing Accounts Receivable exposure by ensuring assigned portfolio is pro-actively monitored, and collections/issue resolution efforts are prompt, effective and according to company policy and procedures. The Dispute and Collections Representative is ultimately tasked with ensuring the company’s cash flow and risk are maintained at acceptable levels.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all internal/external customers within assigned A/R portfolio
- Monitor and track the daily analysis of billing discrepancies, past due invoices, customer disputed invoices/short-payments and unapplied cash on a very high volume-based activity
- Identify billing discrepancies (EDI/ Third Party Portal/ Electronic billing/ “3-way match”), disputes and transaction issues preventing payment, address and facilitate resolution to maximize cashflow and minimize accounts receivable delinquency
- Prioritize collection calls, account reconciliations, disputes and/or discrepancies to be resolved
- Follow-up on previous collection and dispute resolution efforts to ensure payments are received within the agreed payment terms
- Record detailed notes of all collection activity related to customer accounts and document root causes at transaction level
- Maintain weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly spreadsheets/department account reporting (includes record of disputes, internal/external customer correspondence, actions taken and escalation points).
- Keep management informed of all potential risk exposure discovered during collections process
- Collaborate and interact cross functionally with varying levels of business stakeholders and management at local plant/mill and sales level to obtain necessary information to resolve aged A/R balances
- Recommend accounts for final demand, write-off, bad-debt reserve, and/or payment plans
- Report risk exposed accounts for credit review to credit department
- Meet and exceed monthly cash flow targets determined by management
- Performs other job duties as assigned
Relevant Education and/or Requirements for this role include:
- Associate in Business or a related field preferred
- 3 years of experience working with large corporate ERP such as JDE or Oracle
- 3 years customer service, dispute resolution, cash application research/ analysis, account reconciliation and/or overall Accounts Receivable experience in a large manufacturing company
- High degree of comfort with numbers, and reconciliation of transactions and balances
- Awareness and understanding of SOX audit requirements in a publicly traded company
- Must be able to work independently with initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with all levels of department management and with customers in a highly professional manner
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.