WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Tax Planning Manager
1000 Abernathy Rd, NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) is a Fortune 180, and growing, company that partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions to help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Location and/or Business/Division Details (if applicable)
Manager, Tax Planning – Atlanta, GA
WestRock is seeking to hire an experienced tax professional to act as Tax Planning Manager, reporting to the Sr. Tax Counsel. The Tax Planning Manager will work closely with senior advisors within the tax department, as well as Corporate Development, Legal, HR, Accounting, Treasury and Finance and to achieve complex project goals.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Manage all tax aspects of acquisitions, dispositions, and other business development transactions, including determination of optimal legal entity and financing structures, working with business leads on modeling proposed transactions, managing tax due diligence, and documenting the transaction’s tax treatment.
- Advise, coordinate, and problem-solve across a multi-functional M&A team, including Corporate Development, Legal, HR, Accounting, Finance, and business teams to achieve complex project goals.
- Develop, identify, research, evaluate and implement international/federal/state/local tax optimization and cash flow strategies.
- Assist Treasury with tax analysis of certain proposed investments and cash management strategies.
- Evaluate the technical merits of internally and externally developed tax strategies, including financial modeling, identifying issues and opportunities, and presenting conclusions and recommendations both orally and in writing.
- Collaborate with the Tax team and other key stakeholders to implement, track, and ensure compliance with, and reporting of, tax planning projects.
- Coordinate with tax compliance on tax implications of transactions and provide tax technical expertise on certain tax positions to assist with the completion of tax returns.
- Provide support to domestic and international teams managing tax audits, controversies, and litigation.
- Provide tax analysis and support to the Sr. Tax Counsel, other tax personnel, and operations executives.
- Work with Sr. Tax Counsel, SVP Tax, and outside consultants on worldwide organizational planning that provides tax and operational efficiencies.
- Staying abreast of changes in U.S. federal tax law as well as the tax law in key foreign jurisdictions.
What you need to succeed:
- Have five to seven years of tax research and planning experience with a prominent law firm, accounting firm, or multi-national corporation.
- Significant experience in M&A taxation concepts.
- Deep knowledge of corporate tax laws, along with a working understanding of state and local tax concepts.
- Strong communication skills and ability to articulate complex tax laws in a business setting.
- Strong technical writing and federal/international tax research skills.
- Experience with large-scale planning projects.
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to multi-task between large, complex projects.
- Certified Public Accountant or Juris Doctorate degree, a plus.
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.