WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
At WestRock, we provide packaging solutions designed to give our customers a winning edge in the global marketplace. We partner closely with them to deliver the best value on everything from paperboard used for a wide variety of packaging and shipping containers to specialty packages, boxes and displays. We consider ourselves to be part of their team – as we strive for continuous improvement together. Every day, our 45,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in more than 300 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs.
Sr. Manager Technical Accounting – Home Office, Atlanta, Georgia
The Sr. Manager of Technical Accounting will be an individual contributor and a rising leader in the Technical Accounting team. This role will directly report to Sr. Director, Technical Accounting who ultimately reports to the Chief Accounting Officer. This role will also require interaction with key leaders in the divisional and corporate accounting function.
This is a highly visible position in our controllership organization and has global relationships and influences a broad area of responsibility. Ultimately this person is responsible for developing certain global accounting policies, implementation of certain new accounting standards which requires significant technical expertise, project management and communication skills, including the ability to work with a broad and diverse set of key individuals in the organization. This individual will also play a key role from an accounting perspective in the Company’s M&A activities.
This position is required to have significant technical expertise in accounting. These skills are highly valued in the market place. Not only does this position require a thorough understanding of the U.S. GAAP financial accounting rules, but it also requires an understanding of local statutory technical laws, rules and regulations in both the U.S. as well as a foreign jurisdiction – and the ability to effectively communicate with our various department teams to understand these aspects in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate for this position is a consummate team player, who seeks a collaborative work environment, yet can be pro-active and work at a consistently high level without direct supervision.
This position provides a unique opportunity to develop and contribute as an integral and valued member of the team and is also expected to continue to expand automation and efficiency initiatives. Candidates must possess a strong work ethic, organization, consistent accuracy and communication skills and be a motivated professional for whom personal accountability is a must.
This position will have a high capacity for development and training and will work in a fast-paced environment and requires excellent communication skills.
- Oversee developing global accounting policies for specific accounting topics, technical accounting research including planning for the adoption and implementation of new standards on a global basis as well as provide guidance to the Company on existing standards including coordination with segment and corporate personnel.
- Ability to research complex accounting issues including formulating positions and documenting conclusions regarding the financial reporting implications to the organization
- Preparation to senior leadership of the impacts of certain technical accounting analysis or implementation
- Prepare technical memos for internal use as well as external auditors
- Assist with the evaluation of non-routine accounting entries such as:
- Projects – as needed, may include things such as preparation or assistance in the performance of goodwill and other impairment testing, dispositions and special filings such as registration statements
Mergers and Acquisitions
Review and analyze due diligence reports
Assist and work with deal teams to identify, and evaluate any accounting issues,
Work on business combinations accounting post-close
Develop a detailed roadmap from the closing balance sheet of target to opening balance sheet
Assist with purchase price allocation studies.
Understanding of various ledger systems and interaction with JDE
Continuous improvement of technology to support the technical accounting function
Understanding of general ledger structure and interaction of data
Communicate with outside auditing firm on technical accounting issues and interim/year-end close, as needed.
Oversee and adhere to department policies to update and ensure quarterly and annual procedures are following required SOX control objectives.
Required Expertise and Skillsets:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, MBA is a plus
- CPA required (active)
- Energetic self-starter who is proactive and can manage tasks to completion
- Ten years of relevant work experience – public accounting experience required.
- Desired experience consists of public accounting, at a heavy manager/senior manager level. Subsequent additional post public accounting experience welcome.
- Experience in technical accounting advisory functions of a big 4 firm preferred, however, candidates within the audit practice will also be considered
- Strong understanding of US GAAP reporting requirements
- Experience in technical research, presentation in a succinct manner to senior leadership, and high-quality memo writing skills required
- Strong analytical skills, as well as exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent PC skills – primarily Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, ability to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work overtime during busy periods (i.e. like month, quarter, year-end and special projects)
- Hyperion Essbase/Excel Add-In experience is a plus
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.