* The Safety/Environmental Coordinator position is responsible for all activities related to environmental, occupational safety and health permitting and compliance for the for the facility as well as be a divisional point of contact for the Merchandising Displays safety and environmental coordinators at the plant level. The environmental/safety coordinator will ensure that the facility is in compliance with EPA and OSHA regulations and WestRock environmental and safety policies/guidelines, and to recommend and assist in the implementation of environmental, health and safety programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
* Maintain air permit, required inspections, audits, monitoring and applications for renewal or modifications for local air permit.
* Maintain stormwater permit, SWPPP, audits, inspections and monitoring per storm water requirements.
* Maintain SPCC plan, training and records.
* MSDS management including updating books and electronic management system as needed
* Oversee, inspect and maintain all hazardous waste guidelines, inspections and requirements
* Maintain and update contractor guidelines, indemnity, insurance and safety requirements
* Work with the plant safety coordinator or team leader to create safety action plans, track initiatives and follow up through completion.
* Complete and track all items on the Environmental and Safety Monthly Compliance Reports and meet with GMs to discuss as needed.
* Coordinate first aid treatment for plant employees and assist with medical treatment when needed.
* Participate and assist the appropriate supervisors during an incident investigation.
* Facilitate Problem Solving sessions to identify the root cause of an incident.
* Provide Safety training for new hires (hourly, Salary and onsite vendors), Safety orientation for visitors, and Safety refresher training for veteran employees returning from an absence of 90 days or more
* Work closely with the management team to ensure safety training format is followed during employee training.
* Provide general counsel to employees and management on matters related to employee adherence to plant environmental policies.
* Facilitate training as needed to include orientation, compliance, ergonomics and other licensed programs with the managers and/or supervisors for all employees
* Facilitate contractor briefing and safety training to include emergency information and arc flash when appropriate.
* Assist with monthly and routine Safety reports to Corporate or Divisional Management.
* Assist with record keeping associated with EPA, OSHA and WestRock SMS.
* Conduct SMS audits within RAMS.
* Review Near Misses and SOAR observations initiated by supervisors.
* Safety committee responsibilities, work with plant safety coordinators to prepare agenda, review minutes, keep track of action item list, and attend the Safety committee meetings.
* Maintain lists of authorized and qualified employees for welding and electrical programs as well as training.
* Maintain all written environmental and safety programs for the WS complex. This includes written documentation, audits, communicate program requirements and updates and evidence that the plant is following the programs.
* Perform annual audits of each written program to include OSHA and EPA compliance, Waste/RCRA inspections, hazardous risk assessments, job hazard analysis.
* Facilitate or schedule annual fire extinguisher training for WS, maintain annual fire extinguisher service records.
* Work with Emergency Coordinator regarding bomb threat, disease issues or outbreaks and weather emergencies as needed.
* Work with corporate WestRock Safety & Health dept to facilitate or support initiatives in the facility as well as the division.
* Maintain Tier 2 reports, Form R and other necessary records for facility compliance
* Assist with plant start ups and employee onboarding as needed
* Will be required to attend trainings throughout the year off site.
* Some travel required to train and facilitate initiatives at locations within the division
* Assist in special duties and projects as required.
* Perform other duties as assigned by the Divisional Safety Manager
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Ability to Execute - Targets and achieves results, sets and accomplishes challenging goals, prioritizes and manages tasks effectively, maintains an organized system to monitor progress, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets standards and responsibilities, may provide leadership/motivation.
Commitment to Task - Meets commitments, works independently, accepts ownership of projects and outcomes, takes personal responsibility and sets objectives/standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements, shows a sense of urgency about getting results.
Communication - Clearly exchanges thoughts, ideas and messages through written, verbal and non-verbal methods that promote an understanding with the target audience. Creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers engaging presentations, shares information and ideas with others in a timely manner. Listens carefully and attentively.
Customer Focus - For both internal and external customers, builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met in a timely manner, solicits opinions and ideas from customers.
Diversity - Supports an inclusive workplace, incorporates different viewpoints and ideas to maximize performance and contributions of employees, develops strengths in team members, deals respectfully with colleagues, customers and vendors at all levels, understands his/her role in building and sustaining a culture of high performance.
Initiative - Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development, demonstrates a bias for action without prompting.
Innovation - Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, pursues ongoing improvements, supports change, encourages originality, solves problems creatively.
Quality - Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, continuously looks for improvements, finds root cause of problems, owns/acts on problems, seeks opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
Safety Mindset - Promotes a respect for safety, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports safety programs, policies/procedures, takes preventative and corrective action to address potential safety hazards and prevent future injuries, resists temptation to cut corners where safety is concerned, follows all safety related company policies and complies with location specific safety rules, drives safely on and off company property.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
* 5 + years experience in EPA compliance
* 5+ years experience in OSHA compliance or with safety in a manufacturing environment
* Experience with regulatory training
* Effective process management skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Associates or Bachelors degree highly preferred.
* High School Diploma or GED required
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. May require the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and basic computer skills including Excel and Power Point. Should be able to navigate and learn computer systems used in compliance and reporting roles.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.