WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Packaging Engineer I, Victory Packaging - San Antonio, TX
1610 Cornerway Blvd
San Antonio, Texas, 78219
The Packaging Engineer is directly responsible for the creative design, development and cost analysis of innovative protective packaging products to meet customers’ needs. Works closely with customers’ engineering and purchasing departments to determine costs and feasibility of producing proposed packaging, with a particular emphasis on cost reduction.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special-handling and safety requirements, and type of materials required for container.
- Communicates design specs and status of sample to company sales department, purchasing and customer service.
- Designs solutions – identify design flaws and redirect customer wishes.
- Tests, analyzes, and selects materials for packaging based on durability and cost effectiveness.
- Develops or directs development of sketches, specifications, samples, and written analyses of proposed packaging in order to present design for approval.
- Coordinates package testing and validation.
- Performs packaging audits and makes recommendations for improvement to existing customer packaging.
- Tracks cost savings of packaging to ensure cost reduction terms of contract met.
- Remains current to changes in industry and materials.
- Develops and delivers high quality customer service to customers.
- Communicates customer issues to management and national accounts representative quickly and works collaboratively to resolve problems.
- Must have the ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Additional Functions/Job Duties:
- Provides reports as scheduled or requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial package engineering or related work experience
- Experience in all aspects of packaging, corrugated, and packaging materials (foam, flexible packaging, etc.)
- Two (2) or more years related corrugated packaging experience preferred
- Expertise utilizing Artios CAD or similar design programs
- Ability to create and edit documents in MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to identify issues and communicate with team or management
- Fluency in English required, verbal and written
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to type or handle. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is usually quiet to moderate.