WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
The Co-op Student is responsible for assisting with the successful completion of projects related to Product Development. As the student gains increased knowledge and experience, he/she will become responsible for completing independent projects. Typical projects include running trials in the paper/pulp mills; producing and evaluating properties of TAPPI hand sheets; assisting with pilot equipment; implementing profit, productivity, and quality improvements; completing economic justifications. Reports and data prepared by the student are utilized as a basis for management decisions related to safety, environmental, quality, and production issues.
What you need to succeed:
* Paper Science or Engineering major with Paper Science background
* Minimum 3.0 GPA (must be maintained through co-op experience)
* Completed two semesters minimum (four preferred)
* Willing to work in an industrial environment
* Strong leadership capabilities
* Good project planning and execution
* Excellent interpersonaland communication skills
* Initiative and perseverance
* Team player
* May require limited amounts of travel
Through this work experience, the Co-op Student will:
* Apply concepts learned in Pulp and Paper or Engineering classes
* Relate real world experience in classes
* Develop an understanding of an Engineer's role in an industrial setting
* Learn about the general operations of a manufacturing facility
* Develop the ability to communicate with a variety of people in all types of positions
* Expand his/her technical skills, such as pertinent computer programs/software, technical report writing, and general problem solving skills
* Excellent pay ($20.00 per hour, first work semester)
* Paid holidays
* Overtime pay
* Housing stipend ($350 per pay period biweekly) for non-local students
* Seniority accrual
* On-site fitness center
Located in the attractive metropolitan area of Charleston, SC, WestRock is a fully-integrated pulp and paper operation, manufacturing over 800,000 tons annually of a diverse, high-quality kraft paper line. We are a global supplier of our kraft paper products in 50 countries around the world. WestRock is the world market leader in high quality DuraSorb® Saturating Kraft; the innovative producer of the unique, low-density, and high-strength product line known as Kraftpak® Folding Carton Board; and an international provider of linerboard. WestRock operates three paper machines and a state-of-the-art cogeneration facility to generate power.
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled