WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
WestRock is seeking engineering co-ops at our pulp and paper mill in Charleston, SC. Our goal is to place dynamic and driven students in our business to manage projects which support strategic goals, while learning about the real business world and gaining valuable hands-on experience.
The Co-op Student is responsible for assisting with the successful completion of projects throughout their co-op experience. Projects can be related to process improvements, mechanical or electrical equipment reliability issues, solving of production problems, process control, or project engineering. As the student gains increased knowledge and experience, he/she will become responsible for completing independent projects.
Through this opportunity, the Co-op Student will apply concepts learned in engineering classes to real world experience. Co-ops will develop an understanding of an Engineer's role in an industrial setting and the general operations of a manufacturing facility. They will also expand their technical skills, with industrial equipment knowledge, pertinent computer programs/software use, technical report writing, and general problem solving.
Located in the attractive metropolitan area of Charleston, SC, WestRock is a fully-integrated pulp and paper operation, manufacturing over 800,000 tons annually of a diverse, high-quality kraft paper line. We are a global supplier of our kraft paper products in 50 countries around the world. WestRock is the world market leader in high quality DuraSorb® Saturating Kraft; the innovative producer of the unique, low-density, and high-strength product line known as Kraftpak® Folding Carton Board; and an international provider of linerboard. WestRock operates three paper machines and a cogeneration facility to generate power.
What you need to succeed:
* Chemical, Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering major with computer skills
* Minimum 2.8 GPA (must be maintained through co-op experience)
* Must have successfully completed entry level engineering courses such has Statics and Dynamics or Heat and Mass Transfer
* Safety conscious and willing to work in an industrial environment
* Strong leadership capabilities
* Good project planning and execution
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Initiative and perseverance
* Team player
What we offer:
* Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
* Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
* An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
* A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
* Paid holidays
* Overtime pay
* Housing stipend
* Seniority accrual
* On-site fitness center
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled