About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Process Control Engineer - Hopewell, VA
The Process Control Engineer position: provides technological and engineering expertise for the implementation of new process control technology and equipment; evaluates and resolves problems with existing process control systems utilizing vendor and/or mill maintenance support when necessary; designs and programs changes to the existing process control systems as needed. This position insures the control systems are properly deployed to provide the greatest return on investment regarding production, costs, quality as well as safe and environmentally sound operations.
The Process Control Engineer reports to the Process Control Manager.
How you will impact WestRock:
Responsible in providing design, implementation, and support for existing and new Process Control systems. This includes Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s), as well as custom control applications used to meet manufacturing needs and production goals.
Assists project engineers and managers in the planning, development, and implementation of capital projects.
Engages in development of short and long-term planning of system upgrades and migrations.
- During project design, assists with coordinating the development of control logic and system configuration between the Operating Department and control system suppliers. Participate in factory checkout of equipment prior to delivery to confirm design and functionality.
- Writes operator training manuals and assists with control system operator training.
- Maintains a strong emphasis on process improvement projects -- customer focused innovations, cost saving improvements, process optimization, etc.
- Utilizes a proactive approach and project skills to develop solutions to short and long-term issues.
- Designs and implements control system logic based on process knowledge, applicable safety and environmental requirements, operational need, and maintenance requirements that provide clearly defined benefits.
- Works closely with Maintenance and Operations to identify and resolve issues.
- Leads troubleshooting efforts of systems and processes. Helps promote technical skills in E\I technicians.
- Manage and direct consultants, contractors, and vendors during controls related projects.
- As part of the Process Control team, shares in the responsibility of providing weekend and off-hour availability to support Process Control and IT mill needs as well as startup support from planned and unplanned shutdowns.
Adheres to all mill safety rules, participates in or may lead safety programs and meetings with the goal of improving safety at the mill. Supports the mill behavior-based safety program.
Maintains mill-wide data historian (OSISoft Pi) and related interfaces.
Evaluates, troubleshoots, and maintains system hardware.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed:
B.S. Degree in Chemical or Electrical Engineering or other engineering degree with adequate DCS, PLC and HMI application experience.
Minimum of five years of industrial experience preferred with degree or 10 years plus of industrial experience in DCS, PLC and HMI applications would be required with two-year degree or equivalent military experience.
Strong knowledge of field instrumentation, control devices, and motor controls required.
- Process control experience within with paper industry experience preferred.
- Strong troubleshooting skillset for evaluating root cause and addressing technical issues with long term solutions in mind.
- Experience with ABB 800XA, Honeywell Experion, Voith QCS, Rockwell PLC Systems, GE Mark VI, GE drive Systems.
- Strong computer skills including systems deploying VMWare.
- Experience with Ethernet networks including configuration of switches, routers and VLANs.
- Experience with Industrial Communication Protocols including Modbus TCP\IP and Ethernet IP and Profibus.
- Experience with control loop tuning and performance evaluation tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Results oriented individual capable of handling projects individually, yet able to work efficiently in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to be drive large scale control system projects from concept to commissioning.
Ability to read and understand P&ID’s loop sheets, and electrical drawings.
Additional skills needed: self-directed, flexible, self-learner, multitasking, results driven, safety focused.
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence.
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities.
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential.
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
#GDWestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.