About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Associate Process Engineer - Evadale, TX
Evadale, Texas, 77615
Process Engineer is a position in the Technical Department supporting the Evadale Mill operations within the Consumer Solutions Division located in Evadale TX. The position reports directly to the Technical Director for the facility. Although the Process Engineer is intended to be an engineer with 3+ years of professional experience, we will consider new graduates that have multiple COOP or interns in paper or similar industry and will provide development to meet the following expectations. The Process Engineer will provide process optimization working directly with mill operations in driving projects for safety/environmental, quality, production efficiency, cost reduction. The position is also expected to support the Performance Excellence effort at the WestRock Evadale TX Mill. In this regard the role requires skills/experience in continuous improvement and problem-solving processes like RCA, Lean-Six Sigma Tools and Methodology to improve mill performance. The individual will be assigned to lead or facilitate significant improvement projects within the Texas facilities or joint projects requiring collaboration with other business functions.
The role will typically have an operations area focus to support the KPIs for that given area but will also be engaged to participate and lead cross department and even cross division projects as assigned. The position is expected to mentor entry level engineers and participate in operator training as needed.
Project Management experience is required and the capability to span location-wide issues related to process and policy changes is important.
This position can be utilized as a developmental role to prepare the individual to move into roles of greater responsibility. Several advancement paths can be considered based upon the company needs and individual’s experience and performance. The position will require intermittent travel (< 10% anticipated) to support the mill, Consumer Solutions, or WestRock Performance Excellence efforts.
How You will impact WestRock
· Partner with operations to perform routines, projects and troubleshooting work to optimize area performance and Management Operating Systems.
· Work with the mill leadership team and Department team to insure Projects are scoped properly to identify, quantify, prioritize improvement projects to achieve mill goals.
· Lead/support diagnostic efforts and analysis to identify project opportunities within mill operations and value chain. Support site longer-term facility planning and capital execution.
· Lead/facilitate chartered continuous improvement projects focused on cost reduction, efficiency improvement, quality/customer satisfaction and safety as assigned. Utilize Lean-Six Sigma Tools, Methodology and other processes.
· Be a highly visible valued servant leader for continuous improvement at the mill. Be a change agent, effectively coaching and consulting leaders and key stakeholders.
· Mentor/train entry level engineers, COOPs and participate in operator training as assigned.
· May be asked to work on or lead projects involving customers, customer service, product development and sales personnel to understand customer requirements and proactively address concerns or improve mix/volume.
What You need to Succeed
· Demonstrated skills in planning and organizing work, and time management for multiple assignments.
· Strong team skills in various roles – lead, mentor, participant.
· Prior process project experience or operational experience is desired. Experience in the use of structured problem-solving methodologies like Lean-Six sigma is preferred.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering – Chemical, Mechanical or Paper Science Preferred
· Seeking 3+ years of professional experience in manufacturing environment in engineering, process improvement or related technical capacity. Paper or similar industry experience strongly preferred. Will consider new graduates that have multiple COOP or Interns in paper or similar industry.
· Demonstrated ability coach/mentor others in a classroom or informal setting.
· MS Office skills to include Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc...
· Role model the WestRock values.
· Integrity – Strong moral compass and maintain confidences
· Execution: Demonstrated ability achieve measurable/breakthrough results and successfully negotiate obstacles to capture opportunity/solution. Results-driven.
· Leadership: Able to assume a role of authority as necessary; advocate new ideas with an element of risk; set an example for coworkers; delegate responsibility and empower associates to make decisions; provide constructive feedback to others
· Communication: Able to clearly present information; read and interpret complex information; talk with customers or employees at any level.
· Leading Change: Ability to effectively influence others for strategic change throughout the organization without sacrificing short-term goals in a continuously changing environment.
· Prioritizing: Able to manage multiple projects; use goals to guide actions and create detailed action plans; organize and schedule people and tasks.
· Problem Solving: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focus on process rather than isolated events; obtain assessment of a situation and be systemic in identifying trouble spots; use tools to define problems; evaluate alternative solutions.
What we offer
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.