Project Technical Lead - Chicago, IL
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Project Technical Lead - Chicago, IL
450 East North Ave
Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188
The Technical Lead reports to the Innovation Lead and serves as the subject matter expert for the technical innovation projects that they lead, guiding the effort from concept development through commercialization. This role is responsible for the research, design and development of new product offerings and related technologies for differentiated packaging solutions.
You will achieve this objective by managing projects approved by the I-Lead and Innovation council, staying abreast of industry technical advances, gathering market intelligence, leading design/technology evaluation efforts as well as developing IP important to WestRock’s offerings and competitive position. This is a hands-on role including the evaluation, testing and implementation of the latest design and technology solutions. This includes developing required workflows, articulating the market advantages, risk, and profitability of developing new products and technologies. This role supports the new corrugated segment innovation process that is focused on EBITDA and differentiated revenue growth through innovation and the application of best in class technology solutions that serve our customers.
How you will impact WestRock
- Apply the Stage Gate new product development process to project management.
- Define business requirements, lead the evaluation and development of new product offerings through concept through implementation.
- Evaluate and articulate ROI, EBITDA growth, differentiation, and risk factors such as capital investment, manufacturing capability, profitability, and scalability.
- Develop workflow, project plans, proof of concept, coordinate prototype development, execute product validation trials and management reports required for the evaluation and adoption of new products and technologies.
- Actively participate in product testing and the evaluation of new technologies
- Participate on and at times lead customer facing teams to understand the critical business needs of our customers.
- Lead the initial adoption of new products or technologies to ensure successful implementation.
- Research, track and communicate industry trends, best practices, and competitive service offerings to identify opportunities for growth, innovation, increased market share, and competitive advantage.
What you need to succeed
- A bachelor of Science or arts degree in a technical field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a technical field. This can be research and development, innovation management, manufacturing, or technical sales related.
- Has the initiative, resourcefulness, and/or requisite experience to match or manage the development of technical solutions to our customer needs or opportunities through an understanding of the customer’s business objectives.
- Ability to clearly understand WestRock’s internal and external customer’s needs and clearly interpret and communicate them within the company operation.
- Analytical ability to compile data and generate descriptive analysis, executive summaries, trial reports and other communication related materials.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and the ability to create compelling written and presentation materials using MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A hands-on technologist that is equally comfortable working individually, leading cross-functional teams who is also able to build strong relationships with WestRock’s sales organization and customers.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by following procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to travel up to 30%
What we offer
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.