About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Tobacco Packaging Segment Leader - Richmond, VA
501 South 5th St
Richmond, Virginia, 23219-0501
We understand the increasingly significant role tobacco packaging plays in helping brands connect with consumers. For more than 60 years, WestRock has partnered with tobacco industry leaders. Our rich history of innovation, global footprint, product reliability and extensive supply network continue to differentiate us in the marketplace and make us the preferred supplier for the world's best-known premium brands.
WestRock aims to be the premier partner and unrivaled provider of winning solutions for our customers in the global Tobacco market. We product fiber-based packaging solutions to major converter and brand owner customers within the market such as Altria, Amcor, RJ Reynolds, British American Tobacco, Japan Tobacco, and many others. We strive to provide packaging that is clean, consistent in performance, and runs extremely well on our customers packing lines – our distinct advantage. Delivering on these attributes ensures that our products meet the specific needs of tobacco packaging and delivers greater productivity for our customers.
Reporting to the SVP, Paperboard Sales, the Tobacco Segment Leader will be based in the company’s Richmond, Virginia location. You will have P&L responsibility for the global business and will be accountable for providing senior level commercial and strategic leadership to the organization including the development of a global vision for growth, execution and expansion.
This is a customer-facing general management role responsible for leading, executing and delivering business results. It will draw on the candidate’s ability to develop and execute a strategic growth agenda; fully leveraging the breadth of WestRock capabilities within a matrix organization.
How You Will Impact WestRock
The Business Segment Leader’s primary responsibility will be to develop the vision and growth strategies for the business, including new business models, value added products, and geographic expansion to ensure sustainable sales and profit growth consistent with corporate expectations.
Develop and execute sales and market strategies that ensure growth, including:
· Refine the business model and cost structure to achieve financial objectives.
· Strategic/tactical business leadership and management for the growing global Food Service business: Own the strategic plan development process. Driving organic growth through thoughtful long term and short term strategic planning, locally and globally, and excellence in execution.
· Evaluate market trends to identify opportunities and adapt strategies to changing market conditions.
· Drive growth through rapid and effective commercialization of a robust innovative pipeline, and strategic acquisitions. Build relationships with key customer and prospect stakeholders (e.g., R&D, Marketing, and Technical Operations) and influence the decision-making process through strategic and business based economic rationale. Participate and work with the Consumer Mills Business commercial leadership team to proactively contribute to overall commercial strategy, develop business-wide commercial excellence and share best practices.
· Lead, manage, focus on teamwork, and communicate effectively across a diversity of cultures (internally and externally) and geographies to drive the organization to bring added value to customers and consumers.
· Aggressively and effectively recruit other market-knowledgeable professionals to the organization, thereby facilitating both aggressive growth and more strategic relationships with customers and prospects.
· Build and scale a best in class organization to enable the business to drive profitable growth.
What You Need for Success
· Quantifiable record of global commercial leadership success: 10+ years leading global teams in consumables or related industry serving the tobacco or packaged goods industry
· Ability to translate our products and services into value solutions for customers.
· Organized and responsive possessing both solid internal and externals selling skills and the ability to forge strong relationships through exceptional knowledge of customers’ businesses and objectives
· Strong financial acumen and quantitatively oriented
More specifically, the ideal candidate will possess the following competencies:
Setting Vision, Strategy and Direction: The successful candidate will have the ability to articulate and communicate a clear and compelling vision and direction for the business and then align the organization and departmental / functional goals with this. He / She will be able to combine their strategic acumen with their operating strength and thereby create a compelling strategic direction grounded by a deep understanding of their customer and consumer needs. This person provides clear direction, sets clear priorities and allocates resources to the highest value at stake opportunities. Further, they understand how to maximize value and economic profit and drive EVA in order to optimize decision making and track / measure success.
Growth Leadership and Innovative spirit: This person has a strong entrepreneurial drive, innovative spirit and commercial excellence with a clear record of leading breakthrough profitable growth (both organically and through acquisitions). He / She will have the ability to identify and capitalize on market trends, identify consumer / customer needs and use market knowledge to develop and evolve the business and product lines. This person will have a record of thinking beyond traditional paradigms to create new commercial opportunities and solutions. He / She will be responsive to changes in the business environment and will proactively shift resources and priorities to meet these changes. Finally, this person will ideally have experience creating and/or expanding global markets.
Building and Leading Teams: The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader with a high degree of emotional intelligence who inspires, manages, coaches and respects people. He / She will have an inclusive style; they will build trust, frank dialogue and respect, and foster teamwork among the executive team and the broader organization. This person will also have a clear commitment to developing key talent and building future leaders. He / She empowers team members, fosters a culture of accountability, and can lead a cross-functional organization in a matrix to achieve results. Finally, this person will be able to build a global, cross functional organization capable of driving business growth and expansion.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have superior communication, relationship building and influencing skills. He/she is known as a strong team player who has a collaborative style and builds trust and respect and sustains excellent relationships through all levels of their own organization as well as with their customers and key external constituencies. They will be open-minded, transparent and a good listener. This person will communicate arguments and ideas in a compelling manner and negotiate win-win solutions to seemingly impossible situations. Further they will balance data, personalities and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person possesses the highest level of integrity and character.
What we offer
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.