About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Research and Development Scientist / Industrial Forensics- Richmond, VA
501 South 5th St
Richmond, Virginia, 23219-0501
Westrock Analytical Laboratory supports the company’s paperboard testing needs for customers, manufacturing locations, and research initiatives. A scientist’s role in the lab is to perform a variety of qualitative and quantitative testing in support of business needs.
How you will Impact Westrock
· Be a part of the Analytical Services team to drive solutions to customer complaints, manufacturing issues, quality defects, and R&D research projects.
· Plan and execute chemical testing using wet-chemistry and instrumental techniques.
· Perform fundamental data analysis, interpret data, and issue reports with findings and recommendations.
· Develop and document test methods, SOPs, and/or JHAs.
· Oversee analytical instrumentation and perform maintenance as needed.
· Work with R&D scientists on strategic projects for product development.
· Actively participate in and support the WRK safety program
What you need to succeed
· BS in chemistry (5+years experience) required, MS or PhD in Organic or Analytical Chemistry (2+years experience) preferred.
· Experience in material identification/characterization using chromatography and/or spectroscopy techniques required.
· Understanding / experience in packaging or paper-making a plus.
· Functions well in a fast-paced environment and manages competing priorities.
· Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative.
· Good written and oral communication skills.
· Minimal travel (<10%)
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.