Production Supervisor - Seven Hills Paperboard, Lynchburg, VA
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Production Supervisor - Seven Hills Paperboard, Lynchburg, VA
1801 Concord Turnpike
Lynchburg, Virginia, 24504
The Seven Hills Joint Venture in Lynchburg, Virginia is currently seeking a shift supervisor. The operation manufactures gypsum facing paper for the joint venture partner, Continental Building Products.
What you need to succeed:
At least 3 years of Paper Making Process Knowledge / Experience
Maintenance aptitude desirable
People Management and Motivational Skills
Labor Contract Knowledge
Goal Setting Skills
Computer working knowledge such as Microsoft Office, IT Basics, EPAM, PI
Analytical and Decision-making skills
Training in Problem-solving
Systems and Business Compliance
Business Conduct, HR policies, etc.
Engineering or Paper Science degree preferred
Process Engineering background a plus
How you will impact WestRock:
- Leads and ensures the team follow safe work practices and behaviors which will develop zero first aid incidents and zero recordable injuries
- Understands Company Safety programs and Training requirements
- Actively demonstrate adherence to all mill and departmental policies, to recognize and correct behaviors inconsistent with these policies and to demonstrate a zero tolerance to behaviors inconsistent with these policies
- Foster and environment where employee work safely and follow the environmental guidelines.
- Engage hourly personnel involvement in the mill’s safety program
- Ensure crew safety training and safety regulations compliance
- Ensure that all crew members understand all safe Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and operating limits to ensure that mill processes operate within compliance.
- Ensure a consistently high standard of housekeeping within the department.
- Conduct daily toolbox meetings with operating crews to raise safety awareness around hazards in the workplace.
- Conduct monthly crew safety meetings.
- Utilize shift maintenance resources to complete minor safety work orders.
- Lead and document investigation on any near miss, first aid, or motor vehicle incident that happens on shift the day of the incident.
- Ensure crew members are performing and properly documenting safety inspection rounds on the set frequency.
- Manages achievement of environmental excellence and compliance to both the letter and the spirit of the law. Maintains zero NOV’s and 100% compliance of record keeping integrity
- Support the environmental initiatives established by the environmental manager in the pursuit of 100% environmental compliance.
- Understand all environmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and operating limits to ensure that mill processes operate within compliance.
- Ensure that all crew members understand all environmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and operating limits to ensure that mill processes operate within compliance and complete all annual training.
- Ensures all customer products meet the company quality / packaging specifications, thus having maximum likelihood to meet their expectations
- Transports only that product which will support the vision of being the most respected company in our business
- Responsible for managing the papermaking process quality system to ensure the sheet quality meets the customers’ expectations.
- Investigate and resolve quality issues in timely manner and fill out any required documentation that may result from the production of off quality product.
- Progressively identify opportunities to reduce and eliminate unplanned production/quality losses.
- Makes sound decisions and communicates clear instructions, driving excellence within the process and the expectancy for equipment reliability (world class OME being greater than 96%)
- Ensures systems and structures are fully understood and used by the team (includes maintaining current standard operating procedures and troubleshooting guides are correct)
- Ensures a consistent and optimal operating condition that will in turn retain minimum variability
- Fully focused and engaged in all aspects of designated responsibility, creating a culture of self-sustaining engagement throughout the Supervisor / Operator levels
- Set crew priorities to achieve daily and monthly objectives.
- Manage daily production scheduling. Communicate any deviation from the schedule to machine management and the production scheduler.
- Measure and track crew performance results to meet department goals in the area of availability, acceptance, and OME. Develop crew specific plans to address any gaps that may exist.
- Supports machine outages through the full duration that the crew is scheduled. Any deviation must be approved by the machine supt..
- Perform detailed shift turnover that address any issues or follow ups from your shift to the relieving foreman and machine management staff.
- Progressively identify opportunities to reduce and eliminate unscheduled downtime
- Maintain a consistently high level of communications with each of the other process managers to ensure prompt resolution to operational reliability issues and to ensure continuity of operations.
- Support the six sigma process.
- Ensure crew members are performing and properly documenting basic care rounds on the set frequency.
- Conducts preliminary investigation on any reliability recordable event that happens during his or her shift the day of the event.
- Manages and empowers team to make decisions, focusing on significant and sustainable cost improvements. Initiate tasks to be achieved through communicated results
- Required to have a good understanding of how to manage the area of accepted responsibility to best benefit the P/L statement
- Ensures Capital assets are protected and fully utilized, achieving maximized benefits
- Complete preliminary documentation is filled out and completed associated with any reliability recordable event.
- At the very least, achieves agreed set goals/targets
- Maintains self and team member accountability
- Requires good familiarity of the process, equipment and team personnel. Uses such knowledge to drive paradigm improvements
- Actively participates in goal setting, plan development and plan execution
- Maintains tracking of plan progress and therefore can adjust direction based on results
- Manages by the use of fact based information, not intuition
- Approaches leadership responsibilities with energy, passion and commitment
- Sets personal development goals that will include team personnel, consistently achieving results in a constructive manner
- Manages and leads improved documented training standards
- Accepts the responsibility and does not blame others
- Maintains a self-driven personality, becoming a consistent proven problem solver
- Commit to an appropriate and effective set of core values and belief, during all times, that above all respects the efforts of the management team, supports the vision of management roles and thus enhances the collective goals of the entire paper department.
- Take personal accountability to coaching, leading, supporting, and developing operational crews.
- Perform periodic (minimum of semiannual) one to ones with crew members.
- Ensure crew member performance issues are resolved (with the assistance of human resource department if needed) using consistent corrective action.
- Develops and executes crew engagement plans.
- Participates in the training certification process for crew members.
- Performs and documents coaching and counseling and other disciplinary issues with the effective employee feedback
- .Effectively manage the entire papermaking process, not just the papermaking equipment nor just the papermakers
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Paper Machine Superintendent’s physical requirements:
- Walk the extent of the facilty – approximately ½ mile from end to end
- Go up and down stairways to various levels of the operation.
- Four floors in the paper machine area
- Primarily working on basement and first floor level
- Four floors in secondary fiber.
- Access to the basement area is with a spiral staircase
- Primarily working on the ground floor and second level
- Climb ladders to access the top ply headbox, press section and dryer catwalks
- Maintain balance while walking on elevated catwalks alongside wet end, headboxes and dryers
- Maintain balance and control while walking on areas with uneven floors, wet floors and potentially icy conditions in exterior areas during cold months.
- Winter months at secondary fiber platform can be down to zero degrees F during the night.
- Summer temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F at the wet end of the paper machine.
- There could be problems necessitating going onto the dryer hood catwalk where temperatures exceed 140 degrees F. One would only spend a few minutes in the location while the machine is operating.
If this sounds great to you and you think you fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.