Provide support to the operations of a one machine, wallboard producing mill to expand the capabilities of both the process & personnel in order to sustain best in class operating and cost performance. As such the role will be heavily involved in training development & execution, identification & execution of process improvement projects, as well as help in supervising the four Shift Supervisors and filling in for Shift Supervision on a relief basis. Direction will be provided by the Mill Superintendent; however, the successful candidate must exercise discretion and independent judgment in prioritizing work. Results are reviewed through mill key performance metrics for safety, succession planning, quality, and productivity.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Actively promotes and models safety in all aspects of daily mill operations.
- Continue to lead the WestRock Values
- Oversees all activities, training, development and performance management of the Shift Supervisors
- Primary owner of Secondary Fiber Process, housekeeping and improvement projects
- Provides vacation relief for shift supervision and mill superintendent on as needed basis (we have step up hourly supervisors to help cover as well)
- Facilitate coordination between production and maintenance.
- Identifies and executes process improvement projects aimed at increasing safety, quality, and productivity utilizing LSS (Six Sigma) methodology.
- Coordinates production crew training.
- Ensures adherence to established safety standards using BBS (Behavior Based Safety) principles.
- Provides mill support as part of the Operations Call Duty rotation.
- Assists in troubleshooting and resolving operating issues including identification & execution on long term corrective actions.
Other Job Functions:
- Assists in the development and implementation of department goals and objectives.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of a new training program for operators
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you need to succeed:
- Strong functional knowledge of the paper manufacturing process including: recycled pulping, screening & cleaning, wet end operations, drying, coating, and winding.
- Demonstrated strong written & verbal communication skills.
- Capability to develop and desire to promote to the Machine Superintendent role in time
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Proficient in PI (Process Information System) utilization or equivalent process database.
- Proficient in JDE or equivalent CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System).
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and graphics (such as MS Office applications) in order to store, organize and analyze department operational data as well as generate training documents.
- Interact effectively with all levels of personnel, both hourly and management.
- Plan, schedule, and organize tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Make/implement operational changes to improve safety, efficiency, productivity and quality of service.
- Make effective and supportable personnel decisions, evaluate performance, discipline constructively, and handle employer/employee problems and grievances.
- Supervise, train and motivate employees.
- Analyze and resolve problems.
- Exercise independent and discretionary judgment.
These abilities and knowledge are usually obtained through:
- Four (4) year degree in Paper Science or Chemical Engineering discipline – length of service in a paper mill leadership role will also be considered.
- 4-10 years of experience in manufacturing operations.
- Prior supervisory experience in a Union environment.
- LSS (Six Sigma) Green Belt Certification
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.