1st Shift Ink Supervisor - Lansing, MI
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
1st Shift Ink Supervisor - Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
GENERAL PURPOSE: Assure that all inks and coatings meet or exceed substrate and application requirements. Supply presses with ink and coatings to meet customer specifications. Coordinate all aspects of color control and quality. Monitor ink mixing, color matching and ink equipment maintenance. Oversee the operation of the assembly area, and control ink and coatings inventories. Assist and educate employees in related fields. Oversee and perform research and development in aspects of inks, coatings and substrates and printing related science. Responsible for day-to-day management of department including handing out work assignments, daily planning, managing performance of direct reports, operational decisions, problem-solving, and conflict management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assures ink color match meets customer requirements for all printed materials.
- Performs color matches including formulating and entering into software database.
- Maintains ink and coatings inventory.
Manages ink equipment function, machine calibration, and maintenance.
Delegates work assignments to direct reports and sets performance goals and consistently holds employees accountable for meeting performance standards.
Works with customers for job approvals.
Monitors ink usage and inventory.
Prepares appropriate monthly reports and maintains records as needed.
Qualifies/verifies suppliers and incoming inks.
Mixes and proofs formulas and ensures database storage of all ink recipes
Proactively manage departmental metrics that impact cost.
Conducts on-time performance reviews of direct reports.
Plans and schedules staffing to meet workload requirements and productivity standards.
Creates color standards.
Trains or ensures training is conducted in Safety, GMPs, Quality systems rules and procedures.
Makes sound operational decisions, embracing continuous improvement and implementing cost saving measures when applicable.
Leads anilox scope program inspecting and validating incoming tooling.
Assures accurate measurement of anilox ink film thickness and relates to color matching.
Maintains database and examines tooling (anilox) to monitor wear and performance.
Provides training on basics of anilox rolls, ink chemistry, color theory, spectrophotometry, ink usage, and other ink/tooling related issues.
Maintains 5S program as well as diagnose and rework suspect inks or press returns to minimize waste.
Works closely with customer to ensure specific color criteria is built into press run and job approval process.
Reviews job specs and press run samples for accuracy and adherence to customer specific requests.
Stays up to date with current ink mixing technology and application equipment.
Troubleshoots ink and coating problems.
Researches new ink and coating systems.
Works with production and management team on special projects.
Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Must have high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have at least three years’ experience in the ink room.
- Must have 2 years’ technical training and experience or 2 years’ vocational or technical degree in related field required.
- Must have 5 years’ ink and coatings experience.
- Ink and anilox database management experience required.
- Familiarity with ink mixing system software preferred.
- Process and systems management experience preferred.
- Must have basic personal computer skills including electronic mail and word processing.
- Must be able to meet and/or pass the minimum requirement on a mechanical test.
- Must have ability to conduct training as needed.
- Must be able to maintain, troubleshoot and run mixers and dispensing equipment.
- Must be able to use densitometers and spectrophotometers.
- Must be able to clearly discuss ink problems with employees and give them guidance.
- Must fully understand all ink and varnish systems used on presses.
- Must have mathematical skills at level to perform job satisfactorily.
- Must be able to function well in a fast paced environment.
- Must demonstrate effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Must pass color vision and color hue tests.
- Must be able to maintain good attendance.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: email@example.com OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.