About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Die Cutter Operator - 12 HR Nights - Indianapolis, IN
2020 Production Dr
Indianapolis, Indiana, 46241
Responsible for the performance of manual and machine tasks in the set up, maintenance, and operation of die cut equipment to accurately produce product to customer specifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- General knowledge and understanding of die cutting processes and equipment
- Read job tickets to determine setup specifications and instructions
- Observe and monitor machine operations to detect malfunctions and to determine whether adjustments are needed
- Follow all standard operating procedures relevant to the job, position and department
- Performs routine adjustments during the press run and maintain production throughout the run
- Performs all assigned work effectively and on schedule
- Follow instructions accurately
- Maintain records of daily production, using specified forms
- Record production information such as amount of time spent on specific tasks
- Keeps work area neat and clean
- Open machines and remove/replace damaged product, using hand tools
- Train workers to set up, operate and use machines
- Daily/weekly/monthly maintenance and troubleshooting
- Assist Die Cut Pressmen with make-readies
- Coordinate efforts as part of the team to provide assistance to all co-workers (in all departments) as needed to maximize production efficiencies
- Follow established department policies, procedures, work instructions and safety and environmental guidelines
- Performs other job duties as assigned
- Knowledge of Bobst die cutting equipment preferred.
- Experience running board stock and paper on flatbed die cutters required.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to pass a basic reading test.
- Must have basic computer skills – data entry.
- Must have the ability to perform basic arithmetic including additions, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Must be able to maintain good attendance.
- Must pass color vision test.
- Must pass color hue test.
- Must be able to meet and/or pass the minimum requirement on a mechanical test or have demonstrated mechanical aptitude through prior work experience.
- Must be able to use pre-make ready table.
- Demonstrates ability to use rulers, calipers, micrometers and other inspection equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of size and location when beginning the nicking process.
- Demonstrates ability to recognize common packaging defects (cracking, sharpness, heavy scores, line-up, tearing, flat scores, one-sided scores, light cutting, loose fibers, pressure marks, etc.).
- Demonstrates ability to make a spotting sheet.
- Demonstrates ability to make stripping boards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of when and what type of rubber or cork to use.
- Demonstrates knowledge of how to use benders, bridgers, miters and cutters for reknifing.
- Demonstrates knowledge of adjustment process for tonnage on cutting.
- Demonstrates knowledge of when to use underlay or begin spotting.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operating the cube/manual tonnage.
- Demonstrates knowledge of 1mm counter plates.
- Demonstrates knowledge of using register pins for counters.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to repair dies by modifying creasing rules and cutting knives.
- Demonstrates knowledge of blind make-readies and what it entails.
- Demonstrates knowledge of counter plates, matrix, spotting tape, and underlaying.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed; significant overtime may be required during busy periods.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
What we offer
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.