Safety Manager - Tacoma, WA
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Safety Manager - Tacoma, WA
801 E Portland Ave
Tacoma, Washington, 98421
Responsible for the Leadership & technical management of all safety programs at the Tacoma, WA Mill. The successful candidate will be a key leader helping create a safety focused culture. The position has the responsibility to design, modify, recommend and implement safety and health programs to assure a safe work environment. Lead compliance with all applicable safety and health regulations, corporate requirements and audit processes.
How you will impact WestRock:
· Provide leadership in developing measures and practices that that prevent accidents and ensure compliance with OSHA standards.
· Leads culture change towards injury-free facility through leadership, increasing employee engagement, effective training and coaching, on-the floor interactions and rule compliance.
· Provide effective leadership and guidance in a variety of areas including, but not limited to: machine guarding, Lock Out/Tag Out systems, fork lift training, fire systems, hot work procedures, contractor training, mill safety communication, Hazwoper and Hazcom training, confined space program, process safety management, fall protection, asbestos etc.
· Interface with Corporate Safety team and provide necessary reports, audit follow-ups etc.
· Plans and executes industrial hygiene and safety programs including procedure development and employee training. Identifies problems or needs; gathers technical, cost or other relevant information; makes verbal and written reports/recommendations to senior management.
· Maintains a working relationship with local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
· Ensures follow-up on all accident or near-miss reports, including recommended remedial action as part of the investigative team.
· Serves as the primary contact for OSHA inspections: takes charge of inspection activities, makes corporate notifications and accompanies OSHA inspectors on their tours of the plant.
· Routinely audits the mill for safe working conditions and procedures; initiates corrective action where appropriate.
· Coordinate with HR in workers compensation case management
What you need to succeed:
· Bachelors’ degree in Safety or related field is required
· 7 - 10 yrs. experience as a safety professional administering health and safety strategies and programs in a manufacturing operation (process industry experience preferred).
· Extensive knowledge of OSHA regulations.
· A certified or associate safety professional status is desirable (CSP or ASP)
· Strong working knowledge of OSHA regulatory programs is required, and Process Safety Management experience is preferred.
· Ability to assign priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment. Must be able to make effective oral presentations to a wide range of audiences ranging from hourly employees to senior corporate executives and government agencies.
· Confident in presenting training on various safety topics
· Ability to communicate with all employees and effectively lead and direct others
What we offer:
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.