Safety & Health Manager - Lynchburg, VA
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Safety & Health Manager - Lynchburg, VA
1801 Concord Turnpike
Lynchburg, Virginia, 24504
WestRock makes consumer and corrugated packaging solutions that give our customers a winning edge in the global marketplace. We partner closely with customers on everything from beverage packs and pizza boxes to trigger sprayers and fragrance pumps to paperboard used for a wide variety of packaging and shipping containers. We consider ourselves to be part of their team – as we strive for continuous improvement together.
Every day, our 42,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in about 275 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs. We expect to win as a company and lead the industry by achieving success together with our customers, employees and investors.
Safety and Health Manager -Lynchburg, VA
The Lynchburg, Virginia Mill manufactures gypsum liner board for a major drywall manufacturer. Lynchburg is centrally located between Roanoke and Richmond, Virginia, and is nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the Safety and Health Manager provides leadership, strategic direction and tactical support for the Stevenson Mill to achieve an injury free safety first, safety always culture and sustainable compliance through optimization of our Safety Management System and employee engagement.
· Provide leadership in the development, implementation, and continual improvement of procedures and programs designed to create an injury free Culture.
· Support the implementation of the facility’s annual safety improvement plan and the WestRock Safety Management System.
· Ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, licenses, permits and ordinances pertaining to health and safety.
· Provide tactical oversight of safety and health programs, including Lockout Tagout, Confined Space, Machine Guarding, Ergonomics, Electrical Safe Work Practices, HazCom, Hearing Conservation, Incident Investigation, and Risk Assessment.
· Drive continuous improvement using tools and activities, including: self-assessments and audit processes; incident/near miss investigations; metrics, targets and periodic reviews of performance; culture and talent.
· Support hazard recognition, assessment, and control processes to identify and control physical hazards through on-site inspections and effective employee training and awareness.
· Develop effective safety communication utilizing various multi-media methods.
· Utilize training and development plans to grow H&S knowledge and skills.
· Assist in the establishment of the site safety committee(s), support and provide resources as necessary.
· Partner with supervision in the investigation of incidents, determine root cause factors and implement corrective action to prevent future incidents.
· Interface with Division Safety Manager on key initiatives, and support corporate safety strategies
· Act as primary on-site contact for OSHA and other regulatory agency inspections.
· Support and facilitate employee engagement to drive safety excellence.
· Provide oversight and direction for the site’s Workers Compensation, Occupational Health and Wellness functions.
What You Need to Succeed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
Solid ability to organize and plan and work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to maintain a balance of work priorities and complete assignments within established timeframes is required. Attention to detail and accuracy is essential. Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment. Ability to work independently and interact collaboratively as part of a team. Strong analytical skills and the ability to draw valid conclusions. Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to present information in a clear and concise manner to staff and employees at all levels. Strong leadership ability along with high ethical standards – uncompromising on worker safety and regulatory compliance requirements. Ability to think and act strategically while providing tactical support. Working knowledge of OSHA general industry safety and health standards. Computer proficiency.
· Bachelor’s Degree in safety management or related field of study.
· 5+ years professional safety management experience in an industrial manufacturing environment. Paper industry experience preferred.
· Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.