Lead Safety Specialist- Cottonton, AL
Lead Safety Specialist- Cottonton, AL
- Provide Industrial Hygiene and Safety Support to the Mahrt Mill and Cottonton Sawmill.
- Coordination of the industrial hygiene monitoring programs for the Mahrt Mill and Cottonton Sawmill. Activities include development and administration of the IH Monitoring Strategy for these sites by ensuring proper techniques for workplace assessments, response to occupational health concerns and maintenance and calibration of sampling instrumentation.
- Provide oversight to the mills ergonomics program, hearing conservation program, respiratory protection program, hazard communication program and any necessary medical surveillance programs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of safety and health systems to reduce the frequency and severity of occupational injuries and illnesses and associated workers’ compensation costs. Provide technical assistance regarding safety/health programming and training to ensure compliance with Federal and State Regulations and Standards at Mahrt Mill and Cottonton Saw Mill.
- Primary responsibilities include industrial hygiene, comprehensive safety management, ergonomics, and hearing conservation.
How you will impact WestRock:
Industrial hygiene program management/support.
Provide leadership to the Mahrt Mill and Cottonton Sawmill in the development, implementation and maintenance of procedures and programs designed to create and maintain a safe workplace.
Ensures compliance with existing Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, licenses, permits and ordinances pertaining to health and safety.
Provides tactical oversight of specific programs including (but not limited to): ergonomics, hearing conservation, respiratory protection, hazard communication and required medical surveillance programs.
Identification and control of physical hazards through on-site inspections and audits.
Prepares technical reports based on the interpretation of data, observations, and current regulations reganspection findings and recommendations for corrective action.
Keeps current on specific requirements imposed by governmental agencies through reading of the statutes, regulations, licenses, and permits
Maintains a working knowledge on the scientific and technical aspects of various regulatory requirements and how they may impact Mahrt Mill and Cottonton Saw Mill.
Provide Industrial Hygiene/Safety support and guidance to the Safety Committees at Mahrt and Cottonton Saw Mill.
What you need to succeed:
BS degree (MS preferred) in Industrial Hygiene or Safety Management (with emphasis on occupational health) or related field and a minimum of 3 - 5 years safety and industrial hygiene experience.
Experience in Industrial Hygiene and Safety Management Systems. Experience in pulp and paper and/or petrochemical industry desired
Knowledge of DOT requirements desirable.
Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) desirable.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Some weekend call duty and support during production outages and shutdowns
Up to 10 % travel may be required
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.