Human Resources Manager - Lansing, MI
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Human Resources Manager - Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
GENERAL PURPOSE: Responsible for managing all aspects of Human Resources for assigned plant(s) in accordance with Company policies and procedures including employee relations, communication, training and development, compensation, recruitment, staff planning, performance management, and all other HR functional areas. Advises management and ensures adherence to company HR policies and procedures. Provides HR leadership and support, acting as partner with facility operations to achieve organizational goals. Implements corporate HR initiatives. Leads change by improving processes and procedures and by supporting culture change initiatives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains compliance with state and federal employment laws as well as company policies and procedures.
- Tracks and reports on HR metrics.
- Tracks employee statistics for mandatory government reporting.
- Provides direction to ensure fair and equitable administration wage and benefit programs.
- Maintains positive employee relations ensuring union-free environments, including the identification of breaches of culture/values that impact the work environment.
- Investigates employee relations issues and partners with managers for resolution.
- Analyzes turnover to identify trends and develop retention strategies.
- Ensures the availability of an adequate, well trained workforce to support the operational goals of the facility by partnering with operations to recruit and retain a diverse workforce that will provide the skills needed to make the organization successful: sources candidates, screens resumes, arranges interview team schedules, ensures compliance to all company policy and procedure related to hiring.
- Responsible for administering company Performance Management program.
- Provides counsel and leadership coaching (360's) and partners with managers in the development and execution of employee development plans.
- Drives and executes company HR initiatives.
- Oversees and/or conducts new employee orientation, conducts training, including management development training in HR related areas (interviewing, coaching etc.).
- Ensures employee files are maintained in accordance with company policy.
- Assists with benefits enrollment; conducts annual enrollment.
- Supports the facility safety programs, including training and OSHA relations. Participates on safety committees. Investigates accidents and maintains OSHA log.
- Works with TPA to manage worker’s compensation claims.
- Represents company at unemployment hearings and other employee-related proceedings.
- Travels as required.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Requirements include BA/BS and a minimum of 5 years’ human resources management experience. PHR/SPHR preferred.
- Strong knowledge of state and federal employment law.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including negotiation, persuasion and conflict resolution abilities required.
- Time management and organizational skills required, including the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office products with strong emphasis in Excel and Word, Outlook and HRIS software.
- Must understand what it means to be an HR business partner.
- Must have a strong work-ethic as well as a sense of urgency.
- Must be able to perform job duties with minimal supervision.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Must be able to relate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to maintain good attendance.
- Must have mathematical ability to perform calculations required by the job.
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Must have a professional appearance.
- Must be available for managers and employees at various hours of the day and night.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining
a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community:
WestRock Company is creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. For us, diversity and inclusion are business drivers and we take it very seriously. It all starts with a diverse employee base operating in an inclusive environment. An environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Click here to find our Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policy statement.
Westrock participates in E-Verify
We do understand that some of our candidates may require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the WestRock application process, including use of this website. If this is the case for you, please contact us at: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR PHONE: 1-800-762-5836. Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned. One of our Talent Acquisition or Human Resources members will work with you to provide alternative means to submit your application.